Two Stellas Among 11 NGC-certified Coins To Each Realize Over $100,000 in Heritage Sale
Posted on 3/4/2022
Eleven US coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) each realized more than $100,000 in a recent Heritage Auctions sale. They were among over 600 US coins graded by NGC that sold during the Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction, which concluded February 24, 2022.
The top four coins in the sale were NGC-certified, led by an 1879 Flowing Hair $4 Stella graded NGC PF 65 Cameo (lot 3169). Only a few hundred examples were struck of the Stella, a US coin intended for international commerce but one that was never approved for wide-scale usage. This example sold for $184,500.
Another 1879 Flowing Hair $4 Stella, this one graded NGC PF 65 (lot 3168), tied three other NGC-certified coins for the second-highest price realized in the sale: $174,000. The unusual denomination, compelling design and fascinating history typically make Stellas a top performer whenever they appear at auction.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a 1795 13 Leaves $10 graded NGC MS 61 (lot 3233), which realized $174,000
- an 1862 $20 graded NGC MS 63+★ (lot 3309), which realized $174,000
- an 1802 $2.50 graded NGC MS 64+ (lot 3140), which realized $150,000
- an 1876 Gold $3 graded NGC PF 65 Ultra Cameo (lot 3167), which realized $144,000
- a 1915-S Panama-Pacific Octagonal $50 graded NGC MS 65 (lot 3392), which realized $138,000
- an 1878 $20 graded NGC PF 64 Cameo (lot 3339), which realized $120,000
- an 1895 Morgan Dollar graded NGC PF 67 (lot 3119), which realized $111,000
- a 1913 $10 graded NGC PF 67 (lot 3272), which realized $108,000
- an 1813 $5 graded NGC MS 65 (lot 3210), which realized $102,000
All prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!