Rare NGC-certified German Gold Coin Tops $500,000 in Künker Sale
Posted on 2/2/2022
A rare German gold coin certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) achieved the highest price — more than half a million dollars — in Künker‘s Auction 359. The coin was one of several from the NGC-certified Paramount Collection of rarities in the sale, which concluded January 26, 2022.
A Germany (1599-1633) Brunswick-Lüneburg 20 Ducats graded NGC AU 55 (lot 450) realized €480,000 (about $539,200), far exceeding its pre-sale estimate of €300,000 (about $337,200). The coin’s obverse features Christian, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, a territory within the Holy Roman Empire. The reverse displays a detailed coat of arms of Minden, another territory of the Holy Roman Empire in northwest Germany that Christian administered.
|Germany (1599-1633) Brunswick-Luneburg 20 Ducats graded NGC AU 55 and pedigreed to the Paramount Collection. Realized: €480,000 (about $539,200)
Click images to enlarge.
Another top performer in the auction, also from the Paramount Collection, was an Austria 1657 Breslau 10 Ducats graded NGC MS 62 that dates to the end of the reign of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand III, whose portrait is on the obverse. The coin (lot 625) realized €198,000 (about $222,600).
|Austria 1657 Breslau 10 Ducats graded NGC MS 62 and pedigreed to the Paramount Collection. Realized: €198,000 (about $222,600)
Click images to enlarge.
To view NGC’s image gallery of the entire Paramount Collection, click here.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale include:
- a Great Britain 1839 Una and the Lion 5 Sovereign graded NGC Proof Details (lot 683) that realized €156,000 (about $175,200)
- a France 1640A 8 Louis d’Or graded NGC AU 50 (lot 671) that realized €114,000 (about $128,160)
- a Hungary 1605 Transylvania 10 Ducats Bust with Cap graded NGC AU 55 (lot 793) that realized €102,000 (about $114,600)
- a Switzerland 1714 Lucerne 10 Ducats graded NGC MS 62 (lot 757) that realized €102,000 (about $114,600)
- a Sweden 1700-Dated Siege of Tonning Gold Medal graded NGC MS 62 and pedigreed to the Paramount Collection (lot 668) that realized €96,000 (about $107,900)
- a Germany 1698 Nurnberg 6 Ducats graded NGC MS 60 (lot 527) that realized €72,000 (about $80,900)
- an Italy 1686 Retegno 10 Zecchini graded NGC AU Details and pedigreed to the Paramount Collection (lot 692) that realized €66,000 (about $74,200)
- a Switzerland (1700-10) Bern 6 Ducats graded NGC MS 63+ PL and pedigreed to the Paramount Collection (lot 753) that realized €60,000 (about $67,200)
Prices realized include the minimum 20% buyer's premium included in this auction. All dollar amounts are US dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!