Rare NGC-certified Coins from Venezuela and Russia Shine in Stack's NYINC Sale
Posted on 1/21/2022
Rare Venezuelan and Russian coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) shared the spotlight during the Stack’s Bowers January 2022 NYINC auction. They were among hundreds of world coins certified by NGC in the sale.
Realizing $252,000 was a five-piece Venezuela 1879 specimen set from the Brussels Mint and pedigreed to the 1887 sale of the M. Charles L’Ecluse Collection (Session C, lot 2393). The set includes a 5 Bolivares (NGC SP 61), 2 Bolivares, (NGC SP 61) 1 Bolivar (NGC SP 62), ½ Bolivar (NGC SP 62) and ⅕ Bolivar (NGC SP 60).
The coins marked the transition from the Venezolano to the Bolivar denomination and may be the only examples of these denominations in presentation quality, according to the auction house.
Another top performer at the auction was a Russia Imperial Family 1½ Roubles graded NGC MS 63 (Session A, lot 1551). Featuring an image of Czar Nicholas I on the obverse and members of his royal family on the reverse, the coin realized $192,000. Fewer than 50 examples of the coin, which were given to royal family members and senior military officers, are believed to exist.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale included:
- A Russia 1726/5 2 Roubles graded NGC AU 55 (Session A, lot 1523) that realized $108,000.
- An Italy 1972R 100 Lire graded NGC MS 64 PL (Session A, lot 1425) that realized $102,000
- A Russia 1841-dated Royal Marriage Gold Medal graded NGC MS 61 PL (Session A, lot 1552) that realized $102,000.
- An Ecuador 1888 Sucre - Heaton graded NGC PF 66 Cameo (Session C, lot 2258) and pedigreed to Norweb that realized $78,000.
- An England (1592-95) Sovereign graded NGC AU 55 (Session A, lot 1247) that realized $45,600.
- A Bulgaria 1894KB 100 Leva graded NGC MS 60 PL (Session A, lot 1033) that realized $44,400.
- An Ireland 1690 Plain Edge Silver Crown graded NGC PF 65 (Session A, lot 1389) that realized $36,000.
- A Switzerland 1925B Gold 100 Francs graded NGC MS 65 (Session A, lot 1591) that realized $36,000.
Prices realized include buyer’s premium. All dollar amounts are US dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!