Rare NGC-certified Stella in the Spotlight this December
Posted on 11/29/2021
Over 200 vintage US coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) are being showcased in an upcoming Heritage Auctions sale. Online bidding is underway for the US Coins Signature Auction, scheduled for December 16-19, 2021.
One of the most stunning lots in the sale is a spectacular example of an 1879 Flowing Hair $4 Stella, which is graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo (lot 3338). Fewer than 500 Stellas were struck as part of an experiment to create a coin that would be accepted in global commerce.
The obverse’s flowing hair design is attributed to Charles Barber, who also designed other coinage of the era. The Stella, whose name in Latin means “star,” features an impressive star on the reverse. A popular coin among advanced collectors, this example is likely to realize six figures.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- a 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar graded NGC XF 45 (lot 3334)
- a 1797 10 x 6 Large Letters Silver Dollar graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3337)
- an 1811 Classic Head Cent graded NGC MS 65 BN (lot 3282)
- an 1863 Seated Liberty Dollar graded NGC MS 67 and pedigreed to Andre Dawson (lot 3342)
- an 1893-S Morgan Dollar graded NGC XF 45 (lot 3356)
- a 1907 High Relief Saint-Gaudens $20 with Wire Rim graded NGC MS 62 (lot 3414)
- a 1945 Mercury Dime graded NGC MS 66 FB (lot 3314)
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!