Spectacular NGC-certified ‘Gold Rider’ Featured in Schulman October Sale
Posted on 10/8/2021
A dazzling Gold Ducaton minted during the Dutch Republic’s Golden Age is among more than 300 coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) in Amsterdam-based Schulman b. v.'s Auction 368. Online bidding is now open for the auction, which takes place October 28-29, 2021.
The Golden Rider
The star of the auction is a spectacular Netherlands 1687 Gold Ducaton graded NGC MS 63 (lot 661). Also known as an off-metal strike or “Gold Rider,” coins such as this were issued as presentation pieces or as gifts for visiting dignitaries. This coin has an estimate of €100,000 (about $116,000 USD).
The obverse of the coin depicts a mounted knight on horseback (hence the term “rider”), while a pair of lions supporting the crowned Arms of the United Netherlands appear on the reverse. The dies used to produce the coin were traditionally used for the more common “Silver Rider” Ducatons, which were primarily used for trade.
Other NGC-certified coins in the auction include:
- a Netherlands 1776 Gold Quarter Ducaton graded NGC MS 63 (lot 728) with an estimate of €30,000 (about $35,000 USD)
- a Netherlands 1842 10 Guilders graded NGC PF 64 Cameo (lot 996) with an estimate of €10,000 (about $12,000 USD)
- a Royal Dutch Mint 2017 2 ounce Gold Piefort Lion Dollar graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo (lot 1068) with an estimate of €10,000 (about $12,000 USD)
- a Netherlands 2019 2 ounce Gold Ducaton graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo with a designation of 1 of 10 Struck (lot 1069) with an estimate of €10,000 (about $12,000 USD)
- a Belgium 1488 Half Noble graded NGC MS 63 (lot 844) with an estimate of €8,000 (about $9,300 USD)
- a Netherlands 1672 2 Ducaton graded NGC MS 63+ (lot 683) with an estimate of €6,000 (about $7,000 USD)
- a Chile 1811SO FJ 8 Escudos graded NGC MS 64 (lot 119) with an estimate of €5,000 (about $6,000 USD)
- a Germany 1542 Half Taler graded NGC XF 40 (lot 351) with an estimate of €5,000 (about $6,000 USD)
- a Netherlands 1742/1 Flowered Edge Ducaton graded NGC MS 61 (lot 684) with an estimate of €5,000 (about $6,000 USD)
All estimates provided by the auction house.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!