NGC-certified British Gold Coin Realizes Nearly $200,000 in London Auction
Posted on 9/24/2021
Over 150 rarities from Great Britain and elsewhere that were certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) drew collectors’ attention in a sale by London-based Sovereign Rarities, Ltd. Three of the featured coins realized over $100,000, while many others exceeded expectations, demonstrating the current strength of the rare coin market. The auction, Hammered, Milled and Modern British and World Coins, was held September 21, 2021.
The impressive selection of NGC-certified rarities was led by a highly coveted Great Britain 1826 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 63 (lot 156). The coin, designed by William Wyon, one of Britain’s greatest engravers, was one of only about 150 struck in 1826 for a special Proof Set celebrating King George IV’s seventh year as King. It realized £144,000 (about $195,000 USD).
Its obverse features a bare-headed portrait of King George IV engraved by Wyon at the request of the King, who ordered a complete redesign of his coinage in 1823. The reverse features a crowned Shield of the Royal Arms designed by Jean Baptiste Merlen.
Other NGC-certified coins in the auction included:
- a Great Britain 1729 E.I.C. 5 Guineas graded NGC MS 63 (lot 145) that realized £108,000 (about $148,000 USD)
- an England 1687 5 Guineas graded NGC MS60 (lot 142) that realized £78,000 (about $107,000 USD)
- an England 1670 5 Guineas graded NGC AU 58 (lot 141) that realized £57,600 (about $79,000 USD)
- a Great Britain 1834 Crown graded NGC PF 61 (lot 269) that realized £36,000 (about $49,000 USD)
- a Great Britain 2020 Gold King George III £10 graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo with First Day of Issue designation (lot 49) that realized £26,400 (about $36,000 USD)
- a Great Britain 2021 Gold Queen’s Beasts Completer Coin £500 graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo with a First Releases designation (lot 52) that realized £15,600 (about $21,000 USD)
- a Great Britain 1825 Sovereign - Bare Bust with Reeded Edge graded NGC PF 62 Cameo (lot 186) that realized £15,600 (about $21,000 USD)
All prices realized include the buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!