NGC-certified 1794 Dollar Realizes Over $800,000 in Stack's Bowers Sale
Posted on 9/8/2021
A recently discovered 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar and eight other vintage coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) each realized six figures in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries August Rarities Night ANA Auction on August 17, 2021.
In its first appearance in a public sale, the 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar graded NGC AU 55 (lot 4109) realized $840,000. The Flowing Hair Dollar set the standard for America’s monetary system even though it was minted for only two years. From a mintage of 1,758, only 150 known examples survive to this day.
Meanwhile, a 1796 Draped Bust Dollar with Small Date and Small Letters graded NGC MS 64 and pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection and “Colonel” E.H.R. Green (lot 4112) realized $456,000. This exceptionally high-grade example boasts a well-centered strike and is well-preserved.
Other NGC-certified highlights that were part of the August sale included:
- an 1803 14-Star Reverse $10 graded NGC MS 66 (lot 4228) that realized $264,000
- an 1802 Draped Bust Half Dime graded NGC AU 50 (lot 4048) that realized $228,000
- a 1795 9 Leaves $10 graded NGC AU 58 (lot 4221) that realized $228,000
- an 1854 Type 2 Gold Dollar graded NGC MS 68 and pedigreed to Eliasberg (lot 4157) that realized $156,000
- a 1796 15 Stars Half Dollar graded NGC AU 55 (lot 4085) that realized $144,000
- an 1851 887 With “50” Augustus Humbert $50 graded NGC MS 61 (lot 4304) that realized $132,000
- an 1870-CC Half Dollar graded NGC MS 62 (lot 4093) that realized $102,000
All prices realized include the buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!