NGC-certified Coins Commemorating Italian Unification Excel in Aste Bolaffi Sale
Posted on 6/10/2021
Several vintage Italian coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) exceeded their pre-auction estimates to each realize six figures in Aste Bolaffi’s Auction 39, which concluded May 28, 2021.
The star of the sale was an Italy 1864T BN 50 Lire graded NGC MS 61 (lot 1019). This rare coin depicts Victor Emmanuel II, who ruled Sardinia from 1849 to 1861 and Italy from 1861 to 1878. It realized € 189,100 (about $230,835 USD).
Struck just a few years earlier, an Italy 1860B 20 Lire graded NGC MS 63 (lot 1007) with a younger portrait of the monarch also impressed in the sale. It realized € 134,200 (about $163,818 USD).
Victor Emmanuel II obtained the throne when his father abdicated after being defeated by the Austrians. During his reign, he campaigned in the Second and Third Italian War of Independence, which led to the unification of Italy.
Other NGC-certified rarities in the sale included:
- an Italy 1903 Gold 100 Lire graded NGC PF 63 Matte (lot 930) that realized € 97,600 (about $119,141 USD)
- an Italy 1902R Gold 20 Lire graded NGC MS 65 (lot 789) that realized € 61,000 (about $74,463 USD)
- an Italy 1888R 50 Lire graded NGC UNC Details (lot 1029) that realized € 61,000 (about $74,463 USD)
- an Italy 1902R Gold 20 Lire with Anchor graded NGC MS 63+ PL (lot 790) that realized € 54,900 (about $67,017 USD)
- an Italy 1902R Gold 20 Lire with Anchor graded NGC MS 62 PL (lot 1038) that realized € 53,680 (about $65,528 USD)
- an Italy 1902 Gold 20 Lire with Savoy Eagle graded NGC MS 61 (lot 1037) that realized € 36,600 (about $44,678 USD)
Prices realized include buyer's premium.
NGC Census: Unified Italy-1861 to Date
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!