NGC-certified Vintage Gold Coin Stars in an Upcoming Sale in Portugal
Posted on 4/28/2021
A rare gold Portuguese coin and other rarities certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) are in the spotlight at an auction presented by Lisbon firm Matos, Esteves & Pacheco Leiloeiros. Online bidding is currently underway, with the sale concluding April 30, 2021.
The highlight of the sale is a Portugal (1521-57) 10 Cruzados graded NGC XF 45 (lot 1067) featuring Joao (John) III, who ruled from 1502 to 1557. During his rule, John III made first European contact with Japan and colonized present-day Brazil.
The coin’s obverse depicts the Portuguese shield with a detailed crown above it. Stamped on the reverse, the Cruz de Cristo is centered with ornaments separating the legend. The starting bid is € 40,000 (about $48,300 USD).
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale include:
- a Germany 1826 10 Gulden graded NGC MS 65 (lot 1471), with a starting bid of € 7,000 (about $8,400 USD)
- a Brazil 1704R 4,000 Reis graded NGC MS 63+ (lot 1144), with a starting bid of € 4,500 (about $5,400 USD)
- an India 1841 Mohur W.W. Plain 4 graded NGC MS 60 (lot 1493), with a starting bid of € 3,000 (about $3,600 USD)
- a Great Britain 1893 2 Sovereign graded NGC MS 63 (lot 1494), with a starting bid of € 1,500 (about $1, 800 USD)
- a Portugal 1822 Peca graded NGC MS 63 (lot 1308), with a starting bid of € 750 (about $900 USD)
- a Portugal 1877 200 Reis graded NGC MS 63 (lot 1371), with a starting bid of € 350 (about $420 USD)
- a Portugal 1863 50 Reis graded NGC MS 66 (lot 1369), with a starting bid of € 100 (about $120 USD)
- a Portugal 1880 50 Reis graded NGC MS 66 (lot 1370), with a starting bid of € 100 (about $120 USD)
All estimates are provided by the auction house.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!