NGC-certified British 1839 Proof Set Offered in Taisei Auction
Posted on 4/16/2021
A coveted “Una and the Lion” is among more than 100 rare coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) that are available in an upcoming Taisei Auction. The NGC-certified selection features vintage and modern coins from around the world, including Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. Bidding is already underway for the auction, which concludes May 2, 2021.
The centerpiece of the sale is a Great Britain 1839 Complete Proof Set of 15 coins (lot 469), which includes an Una and the Lion Five Sovereign graded NGC PF 63 Ultra Cameo. Designed by famous Royal Mint engraver William Wyon, it features an 18-year-old Queen Victoria on the obverse and Queen Victoria walking with a lion on the reverse. She is depicted as Lady Una from Edmund Spenser’s “The Faerie Queen,” which led to the name commonly used for the coin today.
|Great Britain 1839 "Una and the Lion" Five Sovereign graded NGC PF 63 Ultra Cameo
Click images to enlarge.
In mid-April, bidding for the lot had already exceeded the starting price of 35,000,000 Yen (about $322,000 USD). The lot includes 14 other coins, struck in gold, silver or bronze, including:
- a Great Britain 1839 Plain Edge Sovereign graded NGC PF 64+ Ultra Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Plain Edge Half Sovereign graded NGC PF 65 Ultra Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Crown graded NGC PF 65 Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Plain Edge Half Crown graded NGC PF 65+ Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Plain Edge/Coin Alignment Shilling graded NGC PF 64 Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Plain Edge Six Pence graded NGC PF 64
- a Great Britain 1839 Maundy Four Pence graded NGC PF 66
- a Great Britain 1839 Four Pence graded NGC PF 64
- a Great Britain 1839 Maundy Three Pence graded NGC PF 66 Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Maundy Two Pence graded NGC PF 66 Cameo
- a Great Britain 1839 Maundy Penny graded NGC PF 64
- a Great Britain 1839 Bronzed Penny graded NGC PF 64 BN
- a Great Britain 1839 Bronzed Half Penny graded NGC PF 63 BN
- a Great Britain 1839 Bronzed Farthing graded NGC PF 64 BN
Also featured is a Great Britain 2015 1 Kilogram Gold Queen Elizabeth II Longest Reigning Monarch £1,000 graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo (lot 519). The coin features five portraits of Queen Elizabeth II throughout the years, all of which were issued on British coinage during her reign. This ultra-rare coin is one of 15 minted, and it comes with its original Royal Mint box and Certificate of Authenticity. In mid-April, bidding had already exceeded its starting price of 8,000,000 Yen (about $73,600 USD).
|Great Britain 2015 1 Kilogram Gold Queen Elizabeth II Longest
Reigning Monarch £1,000 graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo
Click images to enlarge.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!