NGC-certified European Gold Rarities Showcased in Japan Auction
Posted on 4/14/2021
Vintage gold rarities from Europe that are certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) are part of an Auction World sale this month in Japan. Bidding is already underway for the sale, being held April 17-18, 2021.
The centerpiece of the sale is a Hungary 1668KB 10 Ducats graded NGC MS 62★. It features Leopold I, who ruled the Holy Roman Empire in Central Europe from 1658 to 1705. During his reign, Leopold vied with the Ottoman Empire to the east for control of Hungary. Bidding for the coin had already reached 17.5 million Yen (about $163,000 USD) several days before the auction.
The sale's top echelon features a second European rarity that also earned NGC's coveted Star (★) Designation for exceptional eye appeal. The Great Britain 1729 E.I.C. 5 Guinea graded NGC MS 63★, which has the finest grade in the NGC Census, had seen bidding rise to 12.6 million Yen (about $117,000 USD).
The initials E.I.C. seen at the bottom of the obverse stand for East India Company. The British-chartered trading group's power was ascendant under King George II, seen on the coin's obverse.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a Ceylon 1815 Silver Pattern Rixdollar graded NGC PF 64+ (lot 1053)
- a China 12-ounce 1994 Gold 1,000 Yuan Panda graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo (lot 1186)
- a Germany 1640 Bavaria 5 Ducat graded NGC MS 62 (lot 3203)
- a Great Britain 1711 5 Guinea graded NGC AU 58 (lot 3384)
- a Great Britain 1826 LVIII Crown graded NGC PF 61 (lot 3419)
- a Great Britain Princess Diana Gold 5 Pounds graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo (lot 3593)
- a Japan (1870) 20 Yen graded NGC MS 65 (lot 215)
- a Roman Imperatorial, Marc Antony and Octavian (41 BC) Gold Aureus graded NGC Ancients AU★, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface (lot 1569)
- a Roman Empire, Julia Domna (AD 193-217) Gold Aureus graded NGC Ancients Ch MS, 5/5 Strike and 5/5 Surface (lot 1582)
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!