Two Rare Cents Certified by NGC Offered in Stack’s Bowers Auction
Posted on 3/1/2021
Two rare cents graded by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) — one from the dawn of US coinage and the other with the familiar bust of President Lincoln — are part of an upcoming auction. Bidding is already underway for the Stack’s Bowers Rarities Night auction, which is scheduled for March 25, 2021.
A 1794 Liberty Cap Cent (S-37) graded NGC VF 20 BN and pedigreed to the Mervis Collection (lot 4012) is the top NGC-certified coin in the sale. There are 58 Sheldon varieties of the 1794 Liberty Cap Cent, but this coin is the single most elusive specimen, with fewer than 20 known examples, according to Stack’s Bowers. Known as the “Steigerwalt variety,” it was named after coin dealer Charles Steigerwalt, who was the first to observe it and make note of it in 1900.
Another highlight is a 1922 No D Lincoln Cent graded NGC MS 63 RB (lot 4035), one of the finest-graded examples. The ‘D’ mintmark below the year was inadvertently polished out of the obverse die in an effort to remove clash marks. The severe polishing also softened all other details on the obverse.
|The 1794 Liberty Cap Cent (S-37) graded NGC VF 20 BN and pedigreed to the Mervis Collection (left) and the 1922 No D Lincoln Cent graded NGC MS 63 RB (right).
Click images to enlarge
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- 1798 Draped Bust Cent (S-161) graded NGC MS 63 BN (lot 4017)
- 1800 Draped Bust Half Dime graded NGC MS 65 (lot 4055)
- 1815 Capped Bust Quarter (B-1) graded NGC MS 65 (lot 4064)
- 1820 Capped Bust Quarter (B-4) graded NGC MS 66 (lot 4065)
- 1832 Capped Bust Quarter (B-2) graded NGC MS 65 (lot 4068)
- 1807 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-112) graded NGC MS 64+ (lot 4083)
- 1813 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-105) graded NGC MS 64+ (lot 4089)
- 1814/3 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-101a) graded NGC MS 64 (lot 4090)
- 1818/7 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-101a) graded NGC MS 64+ (lot 4092)
- 1821 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-107) graded NGC MS 64★ (lot 4096)
- 1825 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-104) graded MS 67 (lot 4098)
- 1829 Capped Bust Half Dollar (O-111) graded NGC MS 64+★ (lot 4101)
- 1885 Liberty Head Quarter Eagle graded NGC Proof 64 Ultra Cameo (lot 4143)
- 1860 Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC MS 61 and pedigreed to the SS Republic (lot 4176)
- 1926-D Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle graded NGC MS 63 (lot 4186)
- Complete 1867 Proof Set of Minor and Silver Coinage (10 coins) graded NGC PF 64 Cameo to NGC PF 67 (lot 4195)
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!