Three NGC-Certified Morgan Dollars and a Standing Liberty Quarter Realize Six Figures
Posted on 11/23/2020
US coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) shined in the Stack’s Bowers Session 5 - Larry H. Miller Collection and Session 8 - Rarities Night sales held from November 12-13, 2020. Four NGC-certified coins including three Morgan Dollars and a Standing Liberty Quarter realized six figures.
A spectacular 1889-CC Morgan Dollar graded NGC MS 65 PL realized $324,000 in the Larry H. Miller Collection sale on November 12. The 1889-CC issue was the first to emerge from the Carson City Mint after its reopening in July of 1889. This key-date issue is the finest recorded in Prooflike or Deep Prooflike of the few examples that survived.
Another NGC-certified standout in the November 12th sale was an 1895 Morgan Dollar graded NGC PF 67 Cameo that realized $132,000. This exceptional rarity, known as the “King of Morgans” is part of the single Proof-only issue in the Morgan Dollar series with no 1895(P) business strikes known. It has a scarce mintage of 880.
Meanwhile, an 1889-CC Morgan Dollar graded NGC MS 64 DPL realized $114,000 in the Rarities Night sale on November 13th. It is the finest of the 13 1889-CC Morgan Dollars graded Deep Prooflike by NGC for its gleaming surfaces.
A significant 1918/7-S Standing Liberty Quarter graded NGC MS 67 realized $102,000 in the November 12th sale. This is one of the two highest-graded surviving examples and the finest in the NGC Census.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
Session 5 – Larry H. Miller Collection:
- a 1921-S Walking Liberty Half Dollar graded NGC MS 65 that realized $78,000
- a 1919-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar graded NGC MS 64 that realized $50,400
- an 1883-S Morgan Dollar graded NGC MS 66 that realized $43,200
- a 1914-D Lincoln Cent graded NGC MS 66 RD that realized $38,400
- a 1921-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar graded NGC MS 65 that realized $38,400
- a 1920-D Standing Liberty Quarter graded NGC MS 67 FH that realized $36,000
- an 1894-O Morgan Dollar graded NGC MS 65 that realized $34,800
- a 1926-D Standing Liberty Quarter graded NGC MS 66 FH that realized $33,600
Session 8 – Rarities Night:
- a 1907 Wire Edge Indian Eagle graded NGC MS 65 that realized $66,000
- an 1896 Liberty Head Eagle graded NGC PF 65 Cameo that realized $55,200
- a 1907 High Relief Double Eagle graded NGC PF 64+ that realized $46,800
- an 1895 Morgan Dollar graded NGC PF 61 that realized $43,200
- a 1903 Liberty Head Half Eagle graded NGC PF 66 Cameo that realized $34,800
- an 1878-CC Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC AU 55 that realized $19,200
- a 1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar graded NGC PF 69 that realized $15,000
- a 1797 Heraldic Eagle BD-2 graded NGC AU Details that realized $13,200
All prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!