NGC-certified Connecticut Coppers from the Partrick Collection Realize Over $1.3 Million
Posted on 11/5/2020
Hundreds of Connecticut Coppers certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) from the Donald G. Partrick Collection realized more than $1.3 million in a Heritage Auctions sale on November 1, 2020. The results are a testament both to the confidence that NGC certification gives bidders and to the significance of the Partrick Collection, which is being offered by Heritage in a series of sales over the next few months.
Leading the sale with a price realized of $38,400 was a 1788 Mailed Bust Right Connecticut Copper (Miller 3-B.1) graded NGC MS 64 BN and pedigreed to the Oechsner Collection. It was followed closely by a 1786 Large Head Right Connecticut Copper (Miller 2.3-T) graded NGC F 15 BN that realized $36,000.
Connecticut Coppers were struck from 1785 to 1789 under contract from the State of Connecticut. They were modeled on the British halfpence, but say “AUCTORI CONNEC” (Latin for “Authority of Connecticut”) on the obverse and “INDE ET LIB” (Latin for “Independence and Liberty”) on the reverse.
|1787 Figure Right Connecticut Copper graded NGC VF 20 BN, being offered by Heritage Auctions in a January 2021 sale.Click images to enlarge|
One phenomenal example from Partrick's assemblage of Connecticut Coppers is reserved for a special sale in January 2021: a 1787 Figure Right Connecticut Copper graded NGC VF 20 BN. It is pedigreed to the Norweb Collection and attributed by its catalog number: Miller 1.4-WW. The reverse die is unique because it shows the figure facing to the right. The only other known example realized $164,500 at a sale in May 2014.
The first part of the Partrick Collection, which is entirely graded by NGC, sold for nearly $26 million at Heritage Auctions’ January 2015 FUN Show sale. More rarities, including a pair of Brasher Doubloons, will add millions more to that total as the remainder of the Partrick Collection is sold. See the auction schedule at HA.com/Partrick
NGC has added the Partrick Connecticut Coppers to its online image gallery of the collection. To view the gallery, visit NGCcoin.com/Partrick.
In the November 1 sale, 21 NGC-certified Connecticut Coppers pedigreed to the Partrick Collection realized at least $10,000 in the sale. Other highlights included:
- a 1787 Draped Bust Left Connecticut Copper (Miller 33.22-II) graded NGC VG 8 BN and pedigreed to the Miller Collection that realized $28,800
- a 1788 Mailed Bust Left Connecticut Copper (Miller 9-E) graded NGC MS 63 BN and pedigreed to the Hanson Collection that realized $26,400
- a 1787 Draped Bust Left Connecticut Copper (Miller 28-m) graded NGC MS 64 BN and pedigreed to the Hanson Collection that realized $24,000
- a 1785 Bust Right Connecticut Copper (Miller 6.5-M) graded NGC MS 62 BN and pedigreed to the Ford Collection that realized $22,800
- a 1787 'ETLIR' Connecticut Copper (Miller 34-ff.1) graded NGC MS 63 BN and pedigreed to the Hanson Collection that realized $20,400
Prices realized include buyer's premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!