NGC-certified British Rarity Tops Auction in Japan, Realizing Nearly $130,000
Posted on 7/21/2020
Several rare European coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) did exceptionally well in a sale held July 18, 2020, by Auction World, a respected Japanese firm affiliated with World Coins Japan.
The top lot was a Great Britain 1826 5 Pounds graded NGC PF 61 Cameo that realized 13,875,000 JPY (about $129,500 USD). The coin features King George IV, known for his extravagant and luxurious lifestyle that ushered in the Regency Era. The fashion and attitude of the time are reflected in the coin’s intricate, yet nonchalant, design and depiction of the king. Adding to its appeal, the 1826 Five Pounds was not issued for general circulation, and only 150 to 225 examples were minted.
|Great Britain 1826 5 Pounds graded NGC PF 61 Cameo that realized 13,875,000 JPY (about $129,500 USD).Click images to enlarge.|
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale included:
- an England (1594-96) £1 graded NGC MS 61+ that realized 6,216,000 JPY (about $58,000 USD)
- an Italy 1867R XXI 5 Lire graded NGC PF 65 that realized 4,662,000 JPY (about $43,500 USD)
- a Ptolemaic Kingdom 285/4-246 BC Gold Pentadrachm graded NGC Ancients MS, 4/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface that realized 4,440,000 JPY (about $41,400 USD)
- an Austria 1659 10 Ducats graded NGC XF Details that realized 4,440,000 JPY (about $41,400 USD)
- a Great Britain 1887 5 Pounds graded NGC PF 62+ Ultra Cameo that realized 4,218,000 JPY (about $39,400 USD)
- a France 1898 5 Francs Essai graded NGC PF 63 Matte that realized 3,885,000 JPY (about $36,300 USD)
- a Bohemia 1625 10 Ducats graded NGC XF 45 that realized 3,785,100 JPY (about $35,300 USD)
- a Germany 1866 2 Taler graded NGC PF 66 that realized 3,552,000 JPY (about $33,100 USD)
- a China 1988 Lunar Series Gold 1,000 Yuan graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo that realized 3,330,000 JPY (about $31,000 USD)
- a Great Britain 1729 E.I.C. 5 Guineas graded NGC AU 55 that realized 3,330,000 JPY (about $31,000 USD).
Prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!