NGC-certified Early US Gold Coins in the Spotlight at Stack's Bowers Sale
Posted on 7/27/2020
Two very rare gold coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) that were struck in the early years of the US Mint are at center stage in a Stack's Bowers sale. Online bidding is now open for the coins in the August 2020 Session 2 - Rarities Night sale, with the auction ending August 6, 2020.
A 1796 Stars on Obverse $2.50 graded NGC MS 62 hails from the first year of the Quarter Eagle. Only a few hundred were struck, first without stars on the obverse and then with the stars, which were already on the obverses of the larger Half Eagle and Eagle denominations that had gone into circulation the previous year.
The Quarter Eagle struggled to find an audience in its early years, overshadowed by the more-practical larger denominations of gold. Its diameter is slightly narrower than a modern-day nickel. Price guides suggest a value of this particular coin well into the six figures.
Another delightful example of early US coinage is also part of the sale: a 1797 Small Eagle $10 graded NGC MS 62. In its day, the design of the small eagle on the reverse of these $10 coins was criticized as scrawny looking, and it was quickly phased out for a more impressive, heraldic eagle design.
The NGC Census records only one finer example of this coin, and price guides suggest this coin will also likely sell for well into the six figures.
Meanwhile, from over a century later, a 1915-S Panama-Pacific Round $50 graded NGC MS 65 should also draw spirited bidding. These commemorative $50 gold coins were struck in both round and octagonal versions, and collectors at the time favored the unusual octagonal shape. As a result, fewer of the round ones sold, and they are rarer today. This particular example is in the top tier grade-wise.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- an 1855 Three-Cent Piece graded NGC PF 65
- a 1792 Half Disme graded NGC Fine Details
- a 1873 Arrows Quarter graded NGC PF 68 Cameo
- a 1901-S Quarter graded NGC VF 35
- an 1807 Draped Bust Half Dollar graded NGC MS 64
- an 1873 Arrows Half Dollar graded PF 67 Ultra Cameo
- a 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar graded NGC AU 55
- a 1799 Silver Dollar graded NGC AU 58
- a 1934-S Peace Dollar graded NGC MS 67
- a 1796 Small Date Small Letters BB-66 Silver Dollar graded NGC AU 58
- a 1906-D $10 graded NGC MS 67
- an 1857-S Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC MS 66 and pedigreed to the S.S. Central America
- an 1860 Clark-Gruber $20 graded NGC AU Details
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!