1692 Five Guineas Certified by NGC Realizes $312,000 at NYINC Sale
Posted on 1/23/2020
An amazing gold coin that is more than 300 years old and certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) realized $374,400 at auctions of world and ancient coins presented by Stack’s Bowers Galleries on January 17 and 18, 2020, in New York.
The England 1692 Elephant & Castle 5 Guineas graded NGC MS 62 had a pre-sale estimate of $150,000 to $200,000. It features overlapping busts of William and Mary and has a small elephant and castle mark to indicate its gold was mined in western Africa. Its provenance includes the Marlborough-Blenheim Collection.
|This England 1692 Elephant & Castle 5 Guineas graded NGC MS 62 realized $312,000.
Click images to enlarge.
Another England Elephant & Castle 5 Guineas, this one from 1688 and graded NGC AU 58, realized $108,000. Its pre-sale estimate was $40,000 to $60,000. It, too, is from the Marlborough-Blenheim Collection.
A somewhat more recent Great Britain coin, an 1826 5 Sovereigns graded NGC PF 62 Ultra Cameo, realized $86,400. It was from the Marlborough-Blenheim Collection, too.
From Italy, an undated (1741) FP Gold 1 Ducatone graded NGC MS 61 realized $144,000.
Other NGC-certified coins of outstanding significance sold by Stack’s Bowers included:
- A Chile 1758-So J 8 Reales graded NGC AU 58 that realized $60,500.
- A Paraguay 1867 Gold 4 Pesos graded NGC XF 40 that realized $57,600.
- A Russia 1727 Gold 2 Rubles graded NGC MS 62 that realized $46,080.
- A Switzerland 1501 Gold 5 Ducats graded NGC VF Details that realized $43,200.
- A Roman Empire (Carus) AD 282-283 Gold Aureus graded NGC Ancients MS, Strike 5/5 and Surface 4/5, that realized $31,200.
- A Russia 1756 Gold 5 Rubles graded NGC AU Details that realized $37,400.
- A Poland 1989-MW Gold 200,000 Zlotych graded NGC PF 68 Ultra Cameo that realized $ 33,100.
All prices realized include a 20% buyer’s premium and are stated in US Dollars.