NGC-certified Russian Rarity Realizes Almost $500,000 in Swiss Auction
Posted on 10/29/2019
Vintage Russian coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) did extremely well at the SINCONA sale of Russian coins and medals, held October 21, 2019, in Zurich, Switzerland. The top five NGC-certified Russian coins in the sale realized more than $1 million combined.
The most impressive result was a Russia 1701 2 Ducats graded NGC AU Details that realized 480,000 CHF (about $483,000 USD). This coin was among the first round coins struck by machinery in Russia as part of Peter the Great’s bold monetary reform, which helped to finance the Russian army, create a navy and build infrastructure. These efforts ultimately established the Russian Empire as an important player in European and international politics.
|This Russia 1701 2 Ducats graded NGC AU Details realized 480,000 CHF (about $483,000 USD).
Click images to enlarge.
"NGC's expert certification gave our bidders great comfort," says Jürg Richter, President of SINCONA. "As a result, many of the NGC-certified coins in our recent sales achieved exceptional prices."
"The 1701 2 Ducats is not only an interesting numismatic artifact, but it is also extremely rare," says NGC Chairman and Grading Finalizer Mark Salzberg. "NGC is honored to have certified this coin and many of the other rarities in SINCONA's October sales."
The following NGC-certified coins also sold for high prices in the Russian Coins and Medals sale:
- A Russia 1902 37.5 Roubles (100 Francs) graded NGC MS 61 realized 180,000 CHF (about $181,000 USD).
- A Russia 1834 Platinum 12 Roubles graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo realized 180,000 CHF (about $181,000 USD).
- A Russia 1836 1 1/2 Roubles (10 Zlotych) graded NGC MS 62 realized 96,000 CHF (about $96,600 USD).
- A Russia 1801 Pattern Rouble graded NGC AU 58 realized 78,000 CHF (about $78,500 USD).
- A Russia 1762 5 Roubles graded NGC AU 55 realized 66,000 CHF (about $66,400 USD).
- A Russia 1836 1 1/2 Roubles (10 Zlotych) graded NGC MS 61 realized 48,000 CHF (about $48,300 USD).
- A Russia 1807 Rouble graded NGC SP 63+ Cameo realized 43,200 CHF (about $43,500 USD).
- A Russia 1779 10 Roubles graded NGC MS 62 realized 24,000 CHF (about $24,150 USD).
NGC-certified coins also realized high prices in other SINCONA sales held in October. They included:
- In the World Coins and Medals sale, a United States 1883 $5 graded NGC PF 65 Ultra Cameo realized 45,600 CHF (about $45,900 USD).
- In the World Coins and Medals sale, a United States 1868 Gold Dollar graded NGC PF 66+ Ultra Cameo realized 43,200 CHF (about $43,500 USD).
- In the Swiss Coins and Medals sale, a Switzerland 1581-1601 7 Dukaten graded NGC XF 45 realized 40,800 CHF (about $41,000 USD).
- In the Swiss Coins and Medals sale, a Switzerland 1798 4 Dukaten graded NGC MS 63 realized 38,400 CHF (about $38,600 USD).
- In the World Coins and Medals sale, a United States 1890 $2.50 graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo realized 33,600 CHF ($33,800 USD).
All prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!