NGC-graded British Proof Set and Hong Kong Rarity in Tokyo Sale
Posted on 4/9/2019
Auction World Co. Ltd., in association with World Coins Japan, is presenting its 16th Auction, featuring coins and other rare items from all over the world.
The top lot in the auction is a complete 1839 Great Britain Proof Set, which is entirely certified by NGC. The amazing set includes 15 gold, silver and copper coins, representing each denomination and type issued in 1839. Among these is an NGC PF 64 Cameo example of the most famous of all British coins: the "Una and the Lion" Gold Five Sovereign.
|This 1839 Great Britain "Una and the Lion" Gold Five Sovereign, graded NGC PF 64 Cameo, is the centerpiece of a 15-coin Proof Set.
Click image to enlarge.
The starting price for these coins, being sold as a single lot, is 35,000,000 yen, or about $313,000 USD. In addition to the NGC PF 64 Cameo Una and the Lion Five Sovereign, the other coins in the set are:
- 1839 Plain Edge Gold Sovereign, NGC PF 64 Cameo
- 1839 Plain Edge Gold Half Sovereign, NGC PF 64 Ultra Cameo
- 1839 Crown, NGC PF 65
- 1839 Plain Edge Half Crown, NGC PF 64 Cameo
- 1839 1 Shilling (ESC-1284), NGC PF 63
- 1839 Plain Edge Sixpence, NGC PF 64
- 1839 Fourpence, NGC PF 65 Cameo
- 1839 Bronzed Penny, NGC PF 63 BN
- 1839 Bronzed Half Penny, NGC PF 63 BN
- 1839 Bronzed Farthing, NGC PF 64 BN
- 1839 Maundy Fourpence, NGC PF 65
- 1839 Maundy Threepence, NGC PF 66 Cameo
- 1839 Maundy Twopence, NGC PF 64 Cameo
- 1839 Maundy Pence, NGC PF 63
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale include:
- Lot 1425 - Hong Kong 1868 Half Dollar, graded NGC PF 61. Starting price: 10,000,000 yen (about $90,000 USD)
- Lot 1334 - China 1994 Year of the Dog 1,000 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Starting price: 5,000,000 yen (about $45,000 USD)
- Lot 3034 - Ptolemaic Kingdom Gold Pentadrachm (246-222 BC), graded NGC Ancients Ch AU★ with a 5/5 Strike and a 4/5 Surface. Starting price: 4,000,000 yen (about $36,000 USD)
- Lot 1331 - China 1992 Year of the Money Gold 500 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Starting price: 3,500,000 yen (about $31,000 USD)
- Lot 1333 - China 1994 Platinum Inventions and Discoveries set (five 25 Yuan coins), , graded NGC PF 68 Ultra Cameo to NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo. Starting price: 3,000,000 yen (about $27,000 USD)
- Lot 3136 - Czechoslovakia 1934 Gold 10 Ducats - Kremnica Mines, graded NGC MS 62. Starting price: 3,000,000 yen (about $27,000 USD)
- Lot 3565 - Great Britain 1669 5 Guineas, graded NGC AU 55. Starting price: 2,500,000 yen (about $22,000 USD)
- Lot 3003 - Lydia Gold Stater - Croesus (561-546 BC), graded NGC Ancients Ch XF with a 5/5 Strike and a 5/5 Surface. Starting price: 2,500,000 yen (about $22,000 USD)
- Lot 1328 - China 1990 Year of the Horse Gold 1000 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Starting price: 1,800,000 yen (about $16,000 USD)
- Lot 3331 - 1640 Germany - Bavaria 5 Ducat, graded NGC MS 63. Starting price: 1,000,000 yen (about $9,000 USD)
- Lot 1339 - 1995 Gold Romance of the Three Kingdoms set (four 100 Yuan coins), graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo to PF 67 Ultra Cameo. Starting price: 1,000,000 yen (about $9,000 USD)
All estimates provided by the auction house.