NGC Celebrates Reverse Proof 2019-W Cents
Posted on 4/9/2019
The US Mint has announced that a 2019-W Reverse Proof Cent is included with all purchases of the 2019 United States Mint Silver Proof Set, which is available as of April 17. This is the first Reverse Proof cent to feature the ‘W’ mint mark of the West Point Mint. In addition, the Silver Proof Set contains the first Roosevelt Dime and first Kennedy Half Dollar struck in .999 silver.
NGC is celebrating this particular 2019-W cent with a special attribution of First “W” Reverse Proof Cent, as well as NGC’s West Point Mint Gold Star Label, both of which are provided for no additional fee. (Scroll below to see detailed submission instructions.)
|Click images to enlarge.|
Lincoln Cents have been struck for the past 111 years, typically with no mint mark (if struck in Philadelphia), a ‘D’ mint mark (if struck in Denver) or an ‘S’ mint mark (if struck in San Francisco). In 2017, a ‘P’ mint mark was included on the Philadelphia issues for the first time to celebrate the 225th anniversary of the US Mint.
In March, a 2019-W Proof Cent was included with orders of the 2019 United States Mint Proof Set, which features Proof examples of the ten coins produced this year for circulation: a cent, nickel, dime, five America the Beautiful quarters, a half dollar and dollar, all with the 'S' mint mark. This is the first cent to bear the 'W' mint mark of the West Point Mint, which typically produces coins made from precious metals.
Now, the first Reverse Proof cent struck at the West Point Mint is being included in the Silver Proof Set, which contains a silver dime, five silver quarters and a silver half dollar, as well as Proof examples of the cent, nickel and dollars. This is the first time that the dime and half dollar are available in .999 fine silver, the new standard. Previously, they were struck in .900 fine silver.
Special designations of First .999 Fine Silver Half Dollar and First .999 Fine Silver Dime are being automatically attributed for these coins.
Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC's popular Early Releases and First Releases designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. For Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates, click here.
- Please note: The 2019-W Reverse Proof Cent does not have to be submitted with the entire 2019 Silver Proof Set; however, all coins submitted must be graded.
- Submit the 2019-W Reverse Proof Cent and Silver Proof Set coins under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The default label for the 2019-W Reverse Proof Cent is the West Point Mint Gold Star #391 label (shown below):
- For an additional fee of $5 per coin, enter Abraham Lincoln Label #560 on your submission form to request this label (shown below):
- The default label for the Silver Proof Set Quarters is the America's National Treasures #9 label (shown below).
- For regular submissions, only the dime and half dollar are eligible for either Early Releases or First Releases designations. If the Early Releases or First Releases designation is desired (+$10 per coin), select Early Releases or First Releases on your submission form. Blue Early Releases Label #378 (shown below) is the default label for the Early Releases designation.
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- The default label for coins without Early Releases or First Releases designations (excluding quarters) is Standard Brown Label #377. To request the Standard Brown #377 label for the 2019-W Reverse Proof Cent, enter Standard Brown Label #377 on your submission form:
Blue First Releases Label #379 (shown below) is the default label for the First Releases designation.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
Mint set attribution and NGC’s First Day of Issue designation are available for qualifying bulk submissions only. Contact Scott Heller at 941-360-3990 or SHeller@NGCcoin.com or Miles Standish at Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 for bulk submissions.
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.