NGC Label Options for 2019 American Legion Commemorative Coins
Posted on 3/11/2019
The US Mint has announced that the American Legion 100th Anniversary commemorative coins go on sale March 14, 2019. (Scroll below to see detailed submission instructions.)
|Click image to enlarge.|
The coins celebrate the 100th anniversary of the well-known American veterans organization, which has 2 million members and 13,000 posts worldwide, most of them in the United States. The American Legion was founded at a meeting in Paris in March 1919, and chartered by the US Congress several months later.
Mintages are limited to 50,000 $5 gold coins, 400,000 silver dollars, and 750,000 clad half dollars, with surcharges benefiting American Legion programs.
The silver dollar obverse features the American Legion logo; the reverse shows the Legion's flag paired with the Stars and Stripes.
The clad half dollar shows children saying the Pledge of Allegiance on the obverse (with one child wearing her grandfather's American Legion cap), while the reverse shows a fluttering American flag beneath the American Legion logo. Starting on the obverse and continuing on the reverse is the phrase "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America."
The proof and uncirculated gold $5 coins are struck at the West Point Mint, while the proof and uncirculated silver dollars are minted in Philadelphia. The proof clad half dollar is struck in San Francisco, while the uncirculated clad half dollar is struck in Denver. A three-coin proof set is also being sold.
Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC's popular Early Releases and First Releases designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. For Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates, click here.
- Submit the American Legion 100th Anniversary coins under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The American Legion Proof Set must be received in the sealed US Mint shipping box to receive the American Legion Proof Set pedigree. There is an additional $5 fee per coin for the special set pedigree.
- The default label is NGC’s Standard Brown Label #377 (shown below):
- If the Early Releases or First Releases designation is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases on your submission form. Early Releases Label #378 or Blue First Releases Label #379 will accompany the designations by default.
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- If you would like Mint packaging returned, select “Return Mint Packaging” in section 3 of the NGC Submission Form. The fee is $5 plus the cost of shipping.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only. Contact Scott Heller at 941-360-3990 or SHeller@NGCcoin.com or Miles Standish at Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 for bulk submissions.
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.