NGC 2019-S Apollo 11 Proof Half Dollar Set Submissions
Posted on 1/21/2019
NGC is celebrating the historic Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Half Dollar Set with a special pedigree and label. The 2019-dated set includes one Apollo 11 Proof Half Dollar and one Enhanced Reverse Proof Kennedy Half Dollar. Both have the "S" mintmark signifying that they were struck at the San Francisco Mint.
This is the first Enhanced Reverse Proof Half Dollar minted by the United States. The set has special significance given that it was President Kennedy who, in May 1961, urged the US to pursue the goal of "landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth" by 1969. This challenge was accomplished in 1969 by the Apollo 11 mission, which launched from what was then called Cape Kennedy.
Only 100,000 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof Half Dollar Sets are being sold. The sets go on sale starting January 24, 2019.
NGC is celebrating this historic set with an "Apollo 11 Half Dollar Set" pedigree, which will be listed separately in the NGC Census.
Both of these coins are being encapsulated by default with NGC's special Astronaut Scholarship Foundation (ASF) label. The NGC ASF label carries an automatic $5 fee, and a royalty is paid to the ASF by NGC for each label used. Each year, ASF provides more than 50 scholarships to outstanding college students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. (To learn more about the ASF label, click here.)
Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC's popular Early Releases® and First Releases® designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. For Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates, click here. Scroll below to see detailed submission instructions.
- The 2019-S Apollo 11 Half Dollar must be received in the sealed US Mint shipping box to receive the Apollo 11 Half Dollar Set pedigree.
- There is an additional $5 fee for the special set pedigree. This fee is waived if coins are encapsulated with NGC's ASF Label.
- All coins received in a sealed Mint shipping box must be graded.
- Submit these coins under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The default label (for a $5 fee) is NGC’s ASF Label #1128. This label is also the default label for Early Releases and First Releases designations.
- If the Early Releases or First Releases designation is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases on your submission form. Write Early Releases Label #378 or Blue First Releases Label #379 to get the accompanying label. Otherwise, ASF Label #1128 will be used (+$5).
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- If you want NGC's Standard Brown Label (shown below), write Standard Brown Label #377.
- If you would like Mint packaging returned, select “Return Mint Packaging” in section 3 of the NGC Submission Form. The fee is $5 plus the cost of shipping.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only. Contact Scott Heller at 941-360-3990 or SHeller@NGCcoin.com or Miles Standish at Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 for bulk submissions.
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!