NGC Offers Special Label for 2018-W Palladium Eagles
Posted on 8/27/2018
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) will offer a special label for the 2018-W Proof Palladium American Eagle coins, to be released Sept. 6, 2018, by the US Mint.
|Click images to enlarge.|
These are the first palladium coins struck in Proof format by the United States. Last year, the first US palladium coins were struck as Mint State. NGC has graded more than 6,000 of the 2017 Palladium Eagles; a few hundred earned the Prooflike (PL) designation.
Discovered in the early 19th Century, palladium is a rare silver-white metal whose chief industrial use today is in the catalytic converters of automobiles.
The Palladium Eagles are comprised of 1 troy ounce of .9995 fine palladium. Trading around $900 an ounce (as of mid-August 2018), palladium remains below its historic high of just over $1,100 an ounce, set earlier this year.
The coins feature two high-relief designs by Adolph Weinman, the American sculptor whose work in the early 20th century still finds widespread favor with numismatists today. The obverse features a reincarnation of the Mercury Dime's obverse, while the reverse features the impressive eagle design from the reverse of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) gold medal.
To commemorate the first Proof Palladium American Eagles, NGC will offer an attractive certification label that features the coin’s eagle motif and highlights the significance of the palladium composition.
- Submit the Palladium Eagles under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The default label (at no additional charge) will be NGC’s Palladium Label #923 (shown below).
- If the Early Releases or First Releases designation is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases on your submission form. Write Early Releases Label #378 or Blue First Releases Label #379 to get the accompanying label. Otherwise, Palladium Label #923 will be used.
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- If you want NGC's Standard Brown Label (shown below), write Standard Brown Label #377.
- If you would like Mint packaging returned, select “Return Mint Packaging” in section 3 of the NGC Submission Form. The fee is $5 plus the cost of shipping.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only. Contact Scott Heller at 941-360-3990 or SHeller@NGCcoin.com or Miles Standish at Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 for bulk submissions.
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.