NGC Ancient & World Coins Top Heritage ANA Sale
Posted on 8/23/2018
Ancient and world coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) led Heritage Auctions' ANA World's Fair of Money Platinum Night sale on August 17, 2018. In fact, 19 of the top 20 results were achieved by NGC-graded coins, a reflection of the market's preference for ancient and world coins certified by NGC.
The highest price in the sale was achieved by an NGC-certified Mexico (1536-38) Charles and Johanna "Early Series" Rincón 8 Reales, which realized $528,000. Graded NGC AU 50, it is the finest of just three known examples of the legendary first “silver dollar” struck in the Americas.
(1536-38)MM Mexico 8 Reales, graded NGC AU 50.
Click images to enlarge.
Two NGC Ancients-certified Ancient Roman Gold Aurei were tied for the second-best result in the auction at $336,000 each. One was of Diadumenian as Caesar (AD 217-218), graded Choice AU★, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface with Fine Style by NGC Ancients. The other was of Sextus Pompey as Imperator (44-36 BC) and was also graded Choice AU★, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface with Fine Style by NGC Ancients.
An additional 13 coins graded by NGC Ancients realized prices above $100,000 in the Heritage Auctions ANA sale. NGC Ancients, the division of NGC dedicated to ancient coins of the Western World, was established in 2008 and has since become a major force behind the growth of this market.
|Athens Tetradrachm, graded NGC Ancients Choice MS★, 5/5 Strike and 5/5 Surface. Realized: $36,000Click image to enlarge.|
“NGC has become the preferred service for collectors of many types of world and ancient coins," said Cris Bierrenbach, Executive Vice President of International Numismatics at Heritage Auctions. "Their consistency, accuracy, and professionalism has been integral to the rapid expansion of the world and ancient coin markets over the last decade. When it came time to certify the top lots in our ANA Platinum Night auction, there was no question that sending them to NGC was the right decision, and I believe the prices realized reflected that.”
The higher prices realized by coins certified by NGC Ancients was further evidenced by an Athens Tetradrachm, graded NGC Ancients Choice MS★, 5/5 Strike and 5/5 Surface. This coin, the finest example of the type certified by NGC Ancients, sold for $36,000, many multiples of the prices typically paid for uncertified examples.
Another notable result was the $40,800 paid for an NGC Ancients Gem MS★, 5/5 Strike and 5/5 Surface, Lydia Sixth-Stater of the famous King Croesus. This same coin sold for just $15,708 a few months earlier, prior to certification by NGC Ancients.
Other exceptional results for NGC-graded ancients and world coins in the Heritage Auctions sale include:
- Lot 30119 - Roman Empire, Macrinus (AD 217-218) Gold Aureus, graded NGC Ancients Choice AU★, 5/5 Strike and 5/5 Surface with Fine Style. Price realized: $288,000
- Lot 30123 - Romano-Gallic Empire, Postumus (AD 260-269) Gold Aureus, graded NGC Ancients MS, 5/5 Strike and 3/5 Surface. Price realized: $264,000
- Lot 30091 - Marcus Junius Brutus (44-42 BC) Assassin of Caesar and Imperator Gold Stater, graded NGC Ancients Choice AU★, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface. Price realized: $240,000
- Lot 30032 - Phocis. Delphi. (c. 338-334 BC) Silver Stater, graded NGC Ancients, AU ★, Strike 5/5 and 5/5 Surface with Fine Style. Price realized: $228,000
- Lot 30099 - Roman Empire, Vitellius (AD 69) Gold Aureus, graded NGC Ancients AU, 5/5 Strike and 3/5 Surface with Fine Style. Price realized: $216,000
- Lot 30321 - Great Britain 1839 Una and the Lion 5 Pounds, graded NGC PF 61+ Ultra Cameo. Price realized: $204,000
- Lot 30018 - Kingdom of Macedon, Alexander the Great (336-323 BC) Gold Distater, graded NGC Ancients Choice AU★, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface with Fine Style. Price realized: $156,000
Alexander III the Great (336-323 BC). NGC Choice AU ★ 5/5 - 4/5. Realized: $156,000
Click images to enlarge.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!
Join NGC for free to add coins, track your collection and participate in the NGC Registry. Learn more >