CGC & New Zealand Mint Partner on Star Wars Label
Posted on 4/11/2018
Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) and the New Zealand Mint have partnered to create a special CGC Star Wars certification label for the mint’s new Star Wars: A New Hope™ Premium Silver Foil.
This unique collectible is made from 35 grams (1.125 ounces) of .999 fine silver yet is paper-thin. It measures 175 x 262 mm (6.9 x 10.3 inches).
The front (or “obverse,” to coin collectors) features an engraved and colorized image of the original 1977 Star Wars: A New Hope poster. The back (or “reverse”) features an effigy of Queen Elizabeth II along with the two dollar denomination – these foils are technically legal tender in the Pacific island of Niue. Only 10,000 Star Wars: A New Hope Premium Silver Foils will be made by the New Zealand Mint.
CGC will grade these foils according to its industry-standard 10-point grading scale. The highest grade, Gem Mint 10.0, is assigned to collectibles that appear flawless. It is approximately equivalent to a grade of 70 on the Sheldon numismatic grading scale used by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and Paper Money Guaranty (PMG), two independent affiliates of CGC.
NGC, PMG and CGC are the leading and largest third-party grading services in their categories, having graded more than 40 million coins, 2.5 million notes and 4.5 million comic books, respectively.
Foils received by CGC within the first 30 days after the New Zealand Mint’s release of these foils can be assigned the Early Releases or First Releases designations, if requested. These designations are used by NGC and PMG to capture the excitement of a newly issued coin or note and have become very popular with many hobbyists. The Early Releases / First Releases cutoff date is Wednesday, May 2. There is no additional fee for CGC’s assignment of these designations, if applicable.
After grading, the foils will be encapsulated in CGC’s protective holder with an exclusive blue and silver CGC Universal Grade label featuring the Star Wars logo, which was officially licensed by the New Zealand Mint. All submitters of the Star Wars: A New Hope Premium Silver Foil will receive the CGC Star Wars label automatically for no additional fee.
The grading fee for this foil is $25. Submitters of 25 or more foils at the same time pay a grading fee of only $20 each. Due to the special nature of this label, Collectors Society and Authorized Dealer discounts are not available.
The foils must be submitted with a CGC submission form. In addition to eligible CGC submitters, paid NGC and PMG Collectors Society members are eligible to submit these foils to CGC. NGC and PMG Authorized Dealers should contact CGC Customer Service to find out how they can submit to CGC.
Please follow the special instructions below.
- At CGCcomics.com, click on the Submit Comics pulldown menu and choose Submission Forms.
- Log in using your email address on file with NGC, PMG or CGC or your CGC dealer number.
- Next to the Comics/Magazines section, click the Fillable PDF link to download a submission form. (Do not use the online form.)
- Print out the submission form.
- In Box 1, confirm that your name and account number are correct.
- Write FOIL near the top of Box 2. Skip Boxes 2-4.
- Fill in Box 5 and 6 with your shipping information.
- Fill in Box 7 with the quantity, date (2018), Publisher (Niue) and Title (Star Wars: A New Hope 35G Silver Foil). Do not include any other collectibles on this form.
- In Box 7, under PEDIGREE / VARIANT, write EARLY RELEASES or FIRST RELEASES if you want either designation on your label. There is no additional fee for these designations but please note that only those foils that are received by CGC within 30 days of the foil’s release date are eligible to receive these designations. The cutoff date for Early Releases / First Releases is Wednesday, May 2.
- For Box 8, enter the total number of collectibles on Line 1. The flat grading fee is $25 (or $20 for quantities of 25 or more). Then select your shipping information on Lines 3-5.
- In Box 8, next to Line 6, write RETURN PACKAGING if you want your original mint packaging returned. There is a fee of $5 plus shipping costs per submission form for this option.
- Complete and mail your Submission Forms with your securely packaged foils to CGC. It is recommended that the foils be kept flat; do not insert the foils into tube-like packaging.
Questions? Call CGC Customer Service at 941-360-3991 or use the online contact form at CGCcomics.com/contact
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!