NGC-graded Eagle Soars at Heritage Auction
Posted on 2/23/2018
An NGC-graded 1875 Gold $10, graded NGC AU 50, soared at the Heritage Auctions Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction on Feb. 22. The extremely rare Liberty Head Eagle realized a record $372,000, and was the top lot in the auction.
|1875 Gold $10, graded NGC AU 50, realized $372,000.
Image courtesy of Heritage Auctions
This particular coin is the third-highest graded of only a hanfdul of known specimens, from an original mintage of 100 business strikes.
NGC-graded eagles were among the other auction highlights, including:
- a 1795 9 Leaves $10, graded NGC AU 55, that realized $144,000;
- an 1880-CC $10, graded NGC MS 62, that realized $90,000;
- a 1797 $10 Small Eagle, graded NGC AU 53, that realized $90,000; and
- an 1865-S $10, graded NGC MS 60, that realized $90,000.
Other highlights included:
- a 1907 $20 High Relief, graded NGC MS 65, that realized $84,000;
- an 1893-CC Morgan Dollar, graded NGC MS 65, that realized $63,092;
- a 1787 Nova Eborac Copper, graded NGC MS 66 BN, that realized $36,000; and
- a 1955 Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent, graded NGC MS 65 RD, that realized $21,600.