NGC Grades 40,000,000 Coins
Posted on 2/28/2018
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) has become the first third-party coin grading service to grade more than 40,000,000 coins.
NGC has been the industry leader for a number of years. It became the first third-party grading service to reach 20,000,000 coins graded (in 2010), the first to reach 25,000,000 coins graded (in 2012), the first to reach 30,000,000 coins graded (in 2014) and the first to reach 35,000,000 coins graded (in 2016).
International growth has been a major force behind these recent milestones. NGC now has international offices in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Munich as well as 13 Official Submission Centers around the world. In April, NGC will open its fourth international office in London.
Coins are graded full time at NGC's 60,000-square-foot headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, USA, and at its 15,000-square-foot facility in Shanghai. In March, NGC will begin to offer periodic on-site grading in Munich.
NGC's growth has also been propelled by its leadership position in the fields of modern coins, world coins, ancient coins, and tokens and medals, among others.
While the company's locations and submissions have changed since it was founded in 1987, its philosophy and strategy have largely remained the same. For more than 30 years, NGC has delivered accurate and consistent grading with the highest level of integrity. Its grading is backed by the comprehensive NGC Guarantee of authenticity and grade – the strongest in the industry.
Every coin certified by NGC is encapsulated in its state-of-the-art holder, the same holder used by the Smithsonian Institution to preserve its most important rarities. The superior protection of the NGC holder, coupled with its expert and impartial grading and guarantee, has helped NGC to stand out year after year.
"It is a great honor – and a great responsibility – to have been entrusted by countless collectors and dealers around the world to grade their treasured coins and collections," says Mark Salzberg, NGC Chairman. "We do not take this responsibility lightly and, as we grow, we continue to adhere to our founding fundamentals of accuracy, consistency and integrity."
The 40,000,000 coins that NGC has graded comprise some of the world's greatest rarities, including:
- the finest 1787 Brasher Doubloon, graded NGC MS 63, which realized more than $5 million in a 2018 private sale;
- three 1913 Liberty Head Nickels, including an NGC PF 64 specimen that realized $3,737,500 at an auction in 2010;
- Seven 1804 Dollars, including an NGC PF 62 example that sold for $3,737,500 in 2008;
- three of the four known Confederate Half Dollars, including the Eric P. Newman specimen, graded NGC PF 40, which sold for $960,000 in 2017;
- a Chinese 1992 Compass 1 Kilogram Gold 2000 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo, that realized $1,290,000 at an auction in 2011;
- a Chinese 1911 Long Whisker Dragon Pattern Gold Dollar, graded NGC SP 63+, that is one of China’s most valuable coins;
- a rare 1344 English “Double Leopard,” graded NGC MS 62, that is believed to be the most valuable English coin; and,
- a Korean Year 3 (1909) Gold 20 Won, graded NGC MS 64, that sold for $632,500 in 2011.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!