NGC Special Label for Breast Cancer Awareness Coins
Posted on 3/12/2018
The US Mint has announced that the 2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coins will go on sale March 15. Six different versions will be released: uncirculated and proof clad half dollars, struck in Denver and San Francisco; uncirculated and proof silver dollars, struck in Philadelphia; and uncirculated and proof gold five dollars, struck at West Point.
Notably, the gold five dollars coins are the first "pink gold" coins ever issued by the United States. The coins are made from a composition that gives them a pink hue, a color that represents breast cancer awareness.
The obverse of the Breast Cancer Awareness coins depicts two women with a butterfly flying above. That butterfly, a symbol of hope, is also featured prominently on the coin's reverse. The NGC special label reflects this theme.
The Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Act instructs the US Mint to collect a surcharge for each coin that it sells that will be paid to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, a New York-based charity dedicated to breast cancer research. (The US Mint surcharges are $5 for each half dollar, $10 for each silver dollar and $35 for each five dollar.)
NGC will honor the Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coins by encapsulating them with its inspirational label for no additional fee.
Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC's popular Early Releases® and First Releases® designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. For Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates, click here. Scroll below to see detailed submission instructions.
- Submit the 2018 Breast Cancer Awareness coins under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Label #991 (shown below) will be included by default for no additional fee:
- If Early Releases or First Releases is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases. The default label is the Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Label #991. If you want the Early Releases or First Releases label (shown below), write Blue Early Releases Label #378 or Blue First Releases Label #379 on your submission form:
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- If you do not want an Early Releases or First Releases designation, and do not want the Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Label or an applicable mint label, you may request the Standard Brown label (shown below), for no additional charge, by writing NGC Standard Brown Label #377 on the submission form. If no label is requested, you will receive the Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Label.
- If you would like Mint packaging returned, select “Return Mint Packaging” in section 3 of the NGC Submission Form. The fee is $5 plus the cost of shipping.
- Please note that NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
Dealers should contact Miles Standish at Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 or Scott Heller at SHeller@NGCcoin.com for bulk submissions. Bulk submissions are eligible for NGC’s Pink Holder, which was introduced to celebrate these coins. View this holder at NGCcoin.com/holders
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!