NGC Special Designations for 2017 Pandas
Posted on 11/1/2016
The highly anticipated 2017 Silver and Gold Pandas were scheduled to go on sale on Friday, October 28, 2016. This year marks the 35th anniversary of the Chinese Gold Panda and NGC has created a special label to celebrate the occasion.
In addition, NGC's popular Early Releases designations will be available for qualifying coins. Special submission instructions must be followed to receive any of these special designations.
The commemorative 35th Anniversary Gold Panda NGC certification features a mirror image of the original 1982 design. It is available by special request for 2017 Gold Pandas. See "Additional Instructions" below.
- Submit the coins under the Modern grading tier or higher. If Early Releases is desired, select Special Label / Releases and check Early Releases (+$15).
- To qualify for the Early Releases designation, coins must be received at an NGC office or NGC Approved Depository within 30 days of the coin's release date. See cutoff dates here.
- Please note that 2017 Silver and Gold Panda submissions to NGC’s US and Hong Kong offices are not eligible for the “First Day of Issue” and “First Releases” designations.
- The default label for 2017 Silver Pandas is the NGC Panda label shown below. This special label is included in the NGC grading fee and does not require an additional fee. As of 1/16/17, this label is no longer available as the default, but is available, by request for the Special Label fee of +$5.
- If Early Releases is desired, select Special Label / Releases (+$15) on the NGC Submission Form and check Early Releases.
- If you would prefer the Blue Early Releases label (shown below), write “Blue Early Releases” in bold letters on the NGC Submission Form.
- The default label for 2017 Gold Pandas is the Gold Panda 35th Anniversary label shown below. This special label is included in the NGC grading fee and does not require an additional fee. 2017 30g Pandas will be accepted under the NGC Modern grading tier.
- If you would like capsules returned, select "Return Mint Packaging" on the NGC Submission Form.
Important Notes about the "Release Date" and Cutoff Dates
- China releases panda coins at different times for domestic and international markets. NGC will therefore post different release dates for in-China submissions and international submissions (e.g. to its Hong Kong or US offices). Click here to see cutoff dates.
- In China, the release date is defined as the first day that these coins are in wide release to the distributors of CGCI. This generally means that multiple CGCI distributors have reported to NGC Shanghai that they are now in possession of 2017 Silver and Gold Pandas.
- Outside of China, the release date is defined as the first day that these coins are in wide release to international distributors. This generally means that multiple international distributors have reported to NGC that they are now in possession of 2017 Silver and Gold Pandas.
- Please note that the release date may be different for each denomination depending on when the coins are made available to distributors. As soon as the release date is known, NGC will post the cutoff date(s) to its website.
Paid NGC Collector members and NGC Authorized Dealers may submit directly to NGC in the United States and Hong Kong. Not a member? Join today!
All submissions in China must be made to an Official Submission Center. For a list of Official Submission Centers in China, click here.
Questions? Contact Customer Service:
Interested in bulk submissions? Contact our sales representatives:
Mateo Zhao, (+86) 137-6434-2241 or MZhao@NGCcoin.com