Submitting Your Coins for Grading – A Quick Refresher
Posted on 2/14/2011
Effectively immediately, all packages must be sealed with reinforced shipping tape. Any damaged, unsealed or poorly sealed packages will be rejected and returned to you via the shipper. Need a quick refresher on shipping your coins to us? Read on:
When submitting coins to NGC for grading we ask that you take care in preparing your submission. To help insure your coins safe arrival at our office and to maintain a timely grading process we recommend that you follow the steps below:
1. Submit your raw coins in 2 ½" x 2 ½" non-PVC flips; these can be purchased from your local coin shop or online. Please do not staple the flips shut, as the staples can damage the coins. We also accept coins in plastic mint capsules or packaging, with no additional charge for removal.
2. If you have multiple submissions, you can mail them in one shipping box. Write the invoice number and the line number for each coin on a small label and attach it to the flips. Collect your flips in a rubber band. Pack the coins so they are well secured in the appropriate box size using bubble wrap or some other method of padding when necessary.
3. NGC recommends that you mail your coins via Registered Insured Mail or FedEx.
4. Securely seal your package(s) with reinforced shipping tape to prevent tampering while in route. Any damaged, unsealed or poorly sealed packages will be rejected and returned to you by the shipper.
5. If you are sending coins on the “WalkThrough” or “Express” tier, please write in bold on the outside of the shipping box, “WK” or “EX,” to ensure that we open these boxes first.
Please feel free to contact Customer Service with any questions you may have.