NGC-certified Double Eagle Realizes More than $500,000 in Heritage Sale
Posted on 8/23/2023
A high-grade Liberty Double Eagle certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company® (NGC®) realized more than half a million dollars in a recent Heritage Auctions sale. The rarity was one of 19 NGC-graded coins that realized six-figure prices in the ANA US Coins Signature Auction held August 15-20, 2023.
The top lot was a 1907 Liberty $20 graded NGC PF 67 Cameo (lot 3285) that realized $504,000. The superb coin was struck in the final year that the Philadelphia Mint produced the iconic Liberty coins. The NGC Census shows 46 examples of this coin, and the one offered at this auction is the single-highest graded.
In addition, an (1800) Gold Washington Funeral-Skull Medal graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3030) realized $372,000. According to the auction house, this extremely rare gold funeral medal is one of only two of this variety in existence, with this example being the finer of the pair. The medal has also been part of one of the great collections assembled in modern times: the Donald G. Partrick Collection. It previously realized $276,000 in an auction of Patrick Collection rarities in January 2021.
Other NGC-certified coins that sold for six figures in this auction included:
- a 1795 $10 graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3217) that realized $264,000
- an 1858 $5 graded NGC PF 67 Ultra Cameo and pedigreed to the Trompeter Collection (lot 3199) that realized $252,000
- an 1807 B-2 Quarter graded NGC MS 66★ and pedigreed to the Newman and Green collections (lot 3079) that realized $252,000
- a 1909-O Indian $5 graded NGC MS 65 (lot 3212) that realized $252,000
- an 1861-S Paquet $20 graded NGC AU 58 (lot 3258) that realized $240,000
- an 1854-S $2.5 graded NGC VF 30 (lot 3155) that realized $222,000
- a 1907 High Relief Wire Rim $20 graded NGC MS 67+★ (lot 3286) that realized $210,000
- a 1907 High Relief Wire Rim $20 graded NGC PF 67 (lot 3288) that realized $192,000
- an 1849 Mormon $20 graded NGC XF 40 (lot 3318) that realized $168,000
- a 1907 High Relief Flat Rim $20 graded NGC MS 67 (lot 3287) that realized $150,000
- a 1915-S Panama-Pacific Octagonal $50 graded NGC MS 65+ (lot 3307) that realized $138,000
- a 1915-S Panama-Pacific Round $50 graded NGC MS 65+ (lot 3304) that realized $138,000
- an 1882 $20 graded NGC AU 55 (lot 3274) that realized $126,000
- a 1797 Small Eagle 15 Stars $5 graded NGC AU 53 (lot 3182) that realized $117,000
- an 1857-O $20 graded NGC MS 62+ (lot 3250) that realized $117,000
- an 1852-O $20 graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3243) that realized $111,000
- an 1870-CC $10 graded NGC XF 40 (lot 3233) that realized $102,000
Prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!