NGC-certified Russian Coin Sells for More than $400,000 in Stack's Bowers Auction
Posted on 1/20/2023
A rare Russian coin that is certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company® (NGC®) was the top-seller among hundreds of ancient and world coins offered in the NYINC auction presented by Stack’s Bowers on January 13-14, 2023.
The Russia 1835 Imperial Family 1.5 Roubles graded NGC MS 63 and pedigreed to the Sigma Collection (Session D, lot 22212) sold for $408,000. Its obverse shows the bare head of Emperor Nicholas I, while the reverse shows his wife, Alexandra Feodorovna, and their children: Crown Prince Aleksandr Nikolaevich, Grand Duchesses Maria Nikolaevna, Olga Nikolaevna, Alexandra Nikolaevna, and Grand Dukes Konstantin Nikolaevich, Nikolai Nikolaevich, and Mikhail Nikolaevich. The design is one of the most famous in Russian numismatics, and examples dated 1835 are among the scarcest.
Other top-selling NGC-graded coins in this auction included:
- a Russia 1937 37.5R graded NGC MS 61 (Session D, lot 22242) that realized $150,000
- a Venezuela 1874 Essai Plain Edge Silver Pattern Venezolano graded NGC PF 63 and pedigreed to Norweb (Session B, lot 21311) that realized $144,000
- a Sicily, Syracuse c.405-400 BC (Kimon) Silver Decadrachm graded NGC Ancients XF, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface with Fine Style (Session A, lot 20016) that realized $108,000
- a Roman Empire Titus, AD 79-81 Gold Aureus graded NGC Ancients MS, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface with Fine Style (Session A, lot 20168) that realized $50,400
- a Czechoslovakia 1934 Kremnica Mines Gold 10 Ducat graded NGC MS 64 (Session D, lot 22016) that realized $48,000
- a Russia 1847CNB AT 5 Roubles graded NGC PF 65 Ultra Cameo (Session D, lot 22211) that realized $43,200
- a Great Britain 1887 No Initials 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 61 Cameo (Session E, lot 23230) that realized $36,000
- an Austria 1772-dated Salzberg Hieronymus Colloredo Gold Medal graded NGC MS 62 (Session E, lot, 23051) that realized $36,000
- a Czechoslovakia 1930 5 Ducats graded NGC MS 64 (Session D, lot 22020) that realized $36,000
- a Portugal (1580) 500 Reis - Governadores Do Reino graded NGC MS 62+ (Session E, lot 23450) that realized $36,000
Prices realized include buyer’s premium. The $ symbol represents US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!