More than 20 NGC-certified Coins Each Sell for Six Figures in FUN Show Auction
Posted on 1/20/2023
Twenty-four vintage American coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company® (NGC®) each realized prices over $100,000 in Heritage Auctions’ FUN US Coins Signature Auction on January 15, 2023.
The top NGC-certified coin was an 1870-S Seated Liberty Dollar graded NGC XF 40 (lot 3766) that realized $420,000. It is generally believed that not more than a dozen 1870-S Dollars were produced, and only nine are confirmed to exist today. These were apparently struck in connection with a ceremony to lay the cornerstone for the new Mint facility in San Francisco.
Another top highlight was an 1845 Quarter Eagle graded NGC PF 67 Ultra Cameo (lot 3829) that realized $384,000. Only three of these exceptionally rare Proofs are confirmed to exist, and this is the finest graded. Another is also NGC-certified, while the third is part of the Smithsonian’s National Numismatic Collection.
Other NGC-graded highlights in this auction included:
- a 1799 Large Stars Obverse Eagle graded NGC MS 66 (lot 3872) that realized $336,000
- a 1912 Double Eagle graded NGC PF 68★ and pedigreed to the Simpson Collection (lot 3966) that realized $324,000
- an 1854-S Quarter Eagle graded NGC VF 30 (lot 3827) that realized $252,000
- an 1858 Half Eagle graded NGC PF 66★ Ultra Cameo (lot 3852) that realized $240,000
- a 1908 Motto $10 graded NGC PF 68 (lot 3888) that realized $216,000
- an 1854-O Double Eagle graded NGC AU Details (lot 3892) that realized $216,000
- a 1915 Double Eagle graded NGC PF 67 and pedigreed to the Simpson Collection (lot 3967) that realized $204,000
- a 1930-S $20 graded NGC MS 63+ (lot 3960) that realized $204,000
- a 1922 Low Relief Peace Dollar graded NGC PF 65 Matte (lot 3805) that realized $192,000
- a 1795 Flowing Hair, Three Leaves Silver Dollar graded NGC MS 64 (lot 3757) that realized $180,000
Prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!