Auction World Offers Una and the Lion Silver Pattern Certified by NGC
Posted on 1/10/2023
A silver Una and the Lion is among about 1,000 world and ancient coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) being offered by Auction World in January. Online bidding is already underway for the 31st Auction, which will be held on January 28-29, 2023.
With a starting price of ¥15,000,000 (about $112,400), the Great Britain 1839 Una and the Lion Silver Pattern 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 64 and pedigreed to the Douglas-Morris Collection (lot 3594) is leading the NGG-certified coins in the sale. The reverse depicts Queen Victoria in the role of Una guiding a Lion — a scene inspired by Edmund Spenser’s epic poem “The Faerie Queen” — while the obverse features a bust of the young Victoria. While nearly all of these coins were struck in gold, there are a handful that were struck in other metals, including silver.
|Great Britain 1839 Una and the Lion Silver Pattern 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 64 and pedigreed to the Ex. Douglas Morris Collection.
Click images to enlarge.
Another NGC-certified coin featured in the auction is a Germany 1726 VLON/HK Cologne 12 Ducat graded NGC UNC Details (lot 3316). The obverse features a bust of Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, who ruled the Austrian Habsburg monarchy from 1711 to 1740. The reverse depicts a coat of arms flanked by a griffin and lion. It also has a starting price of ¥15,000,000 (about $112,400).
Other NGC-certified coins offered in the auction include:
- a (1680-1720) Switzerland Bern FR-140 10 Ducat graded NGC UNC Details and pedigreed to the Paramount Collection (lot 3869) with a starting price of ¥12,000,000 (about $89,100)
- a Roman Imperatorial Cleopatra VII & Mark Antony Silver Tetradrachm graded NGC Ancients Ch AU, 4/5 Strike and 2/5 Surface (lot 3076) with a starting price of ¥6,000,000 (about $44,500)
- a Switzerland 1719-dated Zurich Gold Medal graded NGC MS 61 (lot 3918) with a starting price of ¥6,000,000 (about $44,500)
- a Lydia (Croesus or later) after 561 BC Gold Stater graded NGC Ancients Ch MS, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface (lot 3009) with a starting price of ¥4,000,000 (about $29,700)
- a Germany (1705-1711) Regensburg 10 Ducats graded NGC XF Details (lot 3405) with a starting price of ¥4,000,000 (about $29,700)
- a Ptolemaic Kingdom Gold Octodrachm graded NGC Ancients MS, 4/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface (lot 3072) with a starting price of ¥3,000,000 (about $22,200)
- an Italy 1773 GP Venice Gold Osella graded NGC MS 63 and pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection (lot 3765) with a starting price of ¥3,000,000 (about $22,200)
Starting prices are provided by the auction house. The $ symbol represents US Dollars.
Get the latest NGC news delivered straight to your inbox.