Rare NGC-certified US Coins Highlight Upcoming Auction
Posted on 7/7/2022
A wide-ranging selection of US coins and medals certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) is being offered in the Long Beach Expo sale presented by Heritage Auctions. This sale features highly desired issues, including an 1804 Eagle and 1854-S Quarter Eagle. Bidding for Auction 1347 is underway and will conclude July 14-17, 2022.
One of the rarities is an 1804 Eagle with Crosslet 4 graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3297); an issue sought by collectors. While the mintage was 3,757, numismatic experts believe that only about 80 to 100 examples currently exist in all grades. This particular coin is one of four issues in the NGC Census with this Mint State grade, with only one higher. Based on previous sales and the NGC Price Guide, bidding for this coin is likely to drive the price well into the six figures.
Another highly coveted coin in the sale is an 1854-S Quarter Eagle. Struck at the newly established San Francisco Mint, the Quarter Eagles have a mintage of only 246. Heritage is aware of just 12 known issues in all grades, including one in the prestigious National Numismatic Collection owned by the Smithsonian Institution. Graded NGC VF 25, this special rarity (lot 3214) is also expected to sell for well into the six figures.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- a 1943-D Jefferson Nickel graded NGC MS 68 6FS (lot 3587)
- an 1874-CC Arrows Dime graded NGC AU 55 (lot 3061)
- an 1892-S Barber Dime graded NGC Mint Error MS 63 with an Obverse Die Cap (lot 3184)
- a 1919-S Quarter Dollar graded NGC MS 63 FH (lot 3694)
- an 1840-O Quarter Eagle graded NGC MS 61 (lot 3208)
- an 1841 Quarter Eagle graded NGC PF 50 and pedigreed to the Richmond Collection (lot 3221)
- an 1879 Quarter Eagle graded NGC PF 67 Cameo (lot 3224)
- an 1861-D Half Eagle graded NGC AU 58 (lot 3270)
- an 1843-O Eagle graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3302)
- a 1907 Eagle with No Motto graded NGC MS 66 (lot 3346)
- an 1859-O Double Eagle graded NGC AU 55 (lot 3380)
- an 1886 Double Eagle graded NGC AU 53 (lot 3405)
- a 1925-S Double Eagle graded NGC MS 65 (lot 3431)
- an 1850 Mormon $5 graded NGC AU 55 (lot 3447)
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!