• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serious Question about that new NGC Expert Review Service
1 1

7 posts in this topic

If you'll review and comment on Ebay listings, what about forum posts here or elsewhere? What if we just submit pictures of raw coins we have and want reviewed? Is this strictly Ebay, or will it / can it be extended to any online photograph? This seems to be the logical extension. 

• Administrator

Hi, 

Thank you for your message. NGC Expert Review is a formal process that is maintained through clear terms and conditions. We would not be able to extend the review process to forum posts or online photographs at this time, as the proper formalities are not currently in place. 

We greatly appreciate your interest in our new service. 

Interesting.  I would agree the next step is a formal process that allows submission of a photo direct to NGC (perhaps not through the forums) for the "Expert Review".

When an eBay member submits an eBay listing for Expert Review does it remove the listing from view?  What happens if somebody else buys the coin before the Expert Review is complete?  If I were a potential buyer on eBay and the coin sold in the meantime I'd be hard pressed to justify the expense.  And as a seller I'd be irritated if eBay put my listing on hold or out of view.

But if I were submitting an image directly through an NGC portal there would be very little chance I'd sell or lose the coin before the review was complete.  If I did then I'd have no issue paying the associated fee. 

• Administrator

Thank you for your feedback.

The listing will not be removed from eBay if it is submitted for NGC Expert Review, as the service is offered through NGC. The listing will be evaluated even if it is complete, as the item can be relisted at some point. This will be uncommon, as experts will respond with 48 hours. 

I see at https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7524/ngc-expert-review-launched/ that:

"To use this service, eBay buyers should look for the NGC Expert Review link near the bid or buy section on the eBay listing page for an uncertified coin."

I have for quite a few years (even before eBay existed) been bidding on, buying, and occasionally selling coins, mostly ancient. However, I do not see any NGC links on eBay coin listing pages and do not know how to use the service. I generally use a Windows 7 system with Chrome browsing which has long worked with eBay for me. What can I do to access the NGC Expert Review service? Thanks.

• Administrator

The NGC Expert Review link can be seen in the screenshot below. If you are having trouble accessing this link, the best approach would be to visit the NGC Expert Review landing page and proceed from there. 

image.png

I just clicked on a dozen random raw Morgans, and that link was not on any of the screens.

Edit: Just tried a few on my Android phone - same results.

Edited by Just Bob