• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Those are really cool, Daniel. Do you have your own equipment to strike these medals, or do you just submit the designs to another firm for production? All that detail must be quite time consuming. Do you use a CADD program to assist you in the initial design work?

Chris (thumbs u

Thanks,

I do all the die work myself. This includes design, sculpting, engraving, sandblasting, heat treating, and polishing. I've been sending my dies out to have the pieces struck at another location under my direction. But I just acquired some new shop space and I expect to get my own press within the next couple months.

I use a program that I wrote myself, called "VS3D", to do the designs, sculpting, and engraving.

Those are really cool, Daniel. Do you have your own equipment to strike these medals, or do you just submit the designs to another firm for production? All that detail must be quite time consuming. Do you use a CADD program to assist you in the initial design work?

Chris (thumbs u

Thanks,

I do all the die work myself. This includes design, sculpting, engraving, sandblasting, heat treating, and polishing. I've been sending my dies out to have the pieces struck at another location under my direction. But I just acquired some new shop space and I expect to get my own press within the next couple months.

I use a program that I wrote myself, called "VS3D", to do the designs, sculpting, and engraving.

Do you take requests? What would it cost?

Chris

Chris (thumbs u

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, I'm in the private minting business so I do commission work.

A die can cost anywhere from $200 to $2000, depending upon size, complexity, and level of detail. Most are about $600. Most pieces require two dies. Most private mints farm out the engraving. I specialize in producing the highest quality designs and engravings myself.

Striking the pieces can be anywhere from 50 cents to $6 each (not including the basic metal cost), depending upon the size, surface finish, and whether or not there are additional things like color enamel and edge lettering. Most large (39mm) proof pieces are $2.50 each (plus 50 cents for brass or similar metal).

I still liked the stars version..... :cloud9:

stars.jpg

I did not know you had a final design on that one.

Welcome to this neck of the woods Daniel.

Hope to see ya here more often...

MM (:

I still liked the stars version..... :cloud9:

I did not know you had a final design on that one.

Welcome to this neck of the woods Daniel.

Hope to see ya here more often...

MM (:

Thanks, I forgot about that one.

I'm planning five different (but similar) obverses for 2007.

Some will face left and others right.

Here is the other one that I've struck (so far):

amero_100_2007.jpg

Daniel,

Your pieces are definitely very nice and great works of personal art. I commend you for your ability, very interesting and different and nice to be able to view.

Here is my most recent medal acquisition, I have wondered before whether or not it matters that many of us post non-us medals, tokens here in the US Forums. This one is Russian, either 18th or 19th century, which I am trying to determine. Seller also was not sure as to whether it was bronze or copper, we will see.

Should we have a medal/token post in the World Coin Forums as well for these or does it matter.

These are sellers pics, I will image when I receive. (Cost $3.00)

Rey

18th19thCenturyRussianMedalObv.jpg

18th19thCenturyRussianMedalRev.jpg

Here is one I forgot I had. From back in 1976, the Georgia Bicentenial Medal. It weighs 5 ounces, and even has edge lettering :grin:

The kennedy is just for size comparison...

It is a little beat up. My dad used to use it as a paperweight...plus this was pure silver back in the 70's and 80's when it was a little pricier (is that a word?) than now....

I also have the one with same design in bronze, about 1/2 the size.

gabiobv.jpg

gabirev.jpg

gabiedge.jpg

MM

I love it all Rey. :)

When you get right down to it, none of us are posting coins and this is a coin forum. :grin:

250 replies (not including this one), 3231 views and "0" complaints. I don't think anyone cares. Besides, this forum gets more attention than World Coins.

Chris

Here is my latest addition, a rare early railroad medal. Images are not mine, will re-image later.

1844 Berlin Industrial Exposition and Early Railroad Bronze medal. This is one of the earliest railroad medals. Obverse features Germania seated, sheathed sword on belt, holding laurel wreath, other hand resting on rock with - "Erinnerung an die Ausstellung Deutscher Gewerbserzeugnisse zu Berlin 1844". Reverse has a highly detailed wreath, which consists of five panels portraying a steam ship, weaving machine, ore crusher and smelter, and two other early machines. In the center is a very early 1-1-1 open locomotive with open passenger car crossing a bridge. Circumference states - "Vorwaerts mit Deutscher Fleisse und Deutscher Kraft". Highly detailed engraving. Hallmarked "Loos, Lorenz, and Schilling". Approx. 44 mm (1 3/4").

After speaking with the seller, the medal has a nice bronze lustre that does not show in his images at all. Looking forward to having in hand.

Rey

1844Berlin.jpg

1844BerlinRev.jpg

One of my favorites and a great visual with a neat play on words!
Wow, that is very cool :) (thumbs u

Unfortunately it looks like it's in a NGC slab with that crescent shadow :( Need to get NGC to move to clear rings.

Nice medal Chris and EZ_E!

Chris (thumbs u

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, I'm in the private minting business so I do commission work.

A die can cost anywhere from $200 to $2000, depending upon size, complexity, and level of detail. Most are about $600. Most pieces require two dies. Most private mints farm out the engraving. I specialize in producing the highest quality designs and engravings myself.

Striking the pieces can be anywhere from 50 cents to $6 each (not including the basic metal cost), depending upon the size, surface finish, and whether or not there are additional things like color enamel and edge lettering. Most large (39mm) proof pieces are $2.50 each (plus 50 cents for brass or similar metal).

There is an interesting article in the September 10th Coin World regarding these pattern pieces by Daniel. I hope Daniel doesn't mind and perhaps some of you already know this but Daniel designed the 2001 New York and Rhode Island Quarter Dollar designs.

The article is about "Amero" pieces which some groups are attributing to government produced pieces representing a future shared currency to be used in Mexico, Cnada and the US once a North American Union is Formed. The article is purely positive about Daniel and his amazing work, and it is an interesting read.

Daniel, congratulations on your accomplishments.

Rey

The ship Henry Hudson sailed while exploring the Hudson River in 1609 was the "Half Moon". :hi:

Yes, I'm aware of that. So, why did the designer use a crescent moon instead of a half moon?

Chris

My latest addition is a very rare 1855 Medal depicting Napoleon III on the obverse with the reverse commemorating the Paris to Spain Railroad, through Orleans, Tours, Bordeaux and Bayone. It is an amazing piece and now holds the number one slot of my medal collection as far as rarity and overall beauty. It is 77 mm in diameter.

Rey

1855NapoleonIIIParistoSpainRailroad.jpg

1855NapoleonIIIParistoSpainRailr-1.jpg

That is a beautiful specimen, Rey. It's hard to find European medals in good condition. For some reason, many people over there see nothing wrong with cleaning, and even sometimes scouring, these medals. Good for you!

Chris

That's a beautiful medal Rey :)

Can you tell us something about it? It seems to be for the Paris - Spain Railroad. Do the allegories represent countries, what towns are represented by the shields, etc.?

Very nice addition (thumbs u