• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

JRocco,

That 1874 Pope Pius Medal is fantastic, the details and three dimensional feel is unbelievable. A very impressive medal indeed, thanks for showing it.

Rey

Thanks for showing it to us, Rey. What is its diameter?

A year or two ago, I recall seeing a nice medal on eBay for the B & O Railroad (Baltimore & Ohio) that was pretty interesting. It's my understanding that it is one of the oldest rail systems in the country. Do you have any for the B & O?

Chris

Chris,

The Ilinois Medal is 3 inches in diameter of the Illinois Central Railroad. Celebrating 100 years of the central Mississippi line. 1851 to 1951 - This was called " The Main Line of Mid-America".

I saw one item for the B&O a while back but for some reason did not bid on it. But it was another major railway.

Jrocco,

That is a great looking medal, I like the way it "shines" so to speak with its appearance. Great looking detail on the fields and elsewhere.

Rey

Thanks to Chris Machuga for pointing this 50mm bronze out to me. Most people that know me know about me and Caleb, my Saint.

47715-SaintBernardMedal.jpg.3524efdd79002e4fefc846ad62ba017e.jpg

47716-11-27-06014.5.jpg.2632fd180f8ff2949e65c055e5424762.jpg

Love it, Chris is unbelievable in helping others identify and find coins/medals for our collections. I have acquired a few that I would otherwise never have had the opportunity to bid on. Thanks Chris.

Rey

Love it, Chris is unbelievable in helping others identify and find coins/medals for our collections. I have acquired a few that I would otherwise never have had the opportunity to bid on. Thanks Chris.

Rey

Yep, it's true that Chris is a rare bird. He is a good man that is always ready to make you laugh.

Thanks, Victor! Were there any more bids at the end? The last time i checked, it was still at $20. If that's what you paid for it, good for you!

Thanks, Rey! Did you check out the other railroad medals listings that I e-mailed to you? That one with the guy holding the track with two trains on it was really cool.

Chris

Rey

Yep, it's true that Chris is a rare bird. He is a good man that ("who" kumquat, not "that") is always ready to make you laugh.

You're a good man, too, Charlie Brown! Mom always enjoyed talking to you on the phone.

Chris

No, I think that I was correct in referring to you as a "that" vs. a "who". :þ

So, the end of the month is coming up.........what's going on?

No, I think that I was correct in referring to you as a "that" vs. a "who". :þ

So, the end of the month is coming up.........what's going on?

I'm not having any luck getting the funding..................I'll be homeless.

Chris

Another new addition to my Railway Medal Collection. 27 mm struck to commemorate the marriage of Prince Albert to Queen Victoria in 1840.

Stevenson's Rocket, the first steam engine, had only been invented in 1829 so this is one of the first medallic portrayals of a train !

Rey

1840MedalObv-1.jpg

1840MedalRev-1.jpg

Well they keep coming, here is again my latest acquistion related to Railways.

This is an interesting medal from the M. M. Convention 1897 held in Old Point Comfort Virginia (VA). The M. M. convention was the Master Mechanics and Master Car Builders convention for railroad car manufactures. It was held at the Chamberlin Hotel and was part of the American Railway Master Mechanics Association.

My guess is the bust is of William F. Smith the 1st President of the American Railway Master Mechanics Association.

The medal is about the size of a silver dollar and bronze. It is in AU condition.

Rey

1897OldPointComfortObv.jpg

1897OldPointComfortRev.jpg

I recently purchased this same medal in Bronze, 1844 Berlin and it was beautiful, I found this one on Ebay and acquired it for such a minimal cost. It is Gilt Bronze and is amazing in hand although it does have dings, hits, etc. but wow.

COUNTRY of ORIGIN : Germany, believed to be Award Medal, not just an expo commemorative medal. Gilt Bronze which to my understanding is very rare, I have the same medal in aged bronze, this one is wonderul looking

ENGRAVER : Lorenz (designed by Loos) and Schilling

1844BerlinObvGiltBronze.jpg

1844BerlinRevGiltBronze.jpg

Previous Medal I Aquired

1844BerlinObv2.jpg

1844BerlinRev2.jpg

This is my latest acquisition. It was designed by Oscar Roty for the 1900 Paris Olympics that were held in conjunction with the Universal Exposition. It is a silvered bronze and measures 51x36mm.

Several weeks ago, I saw the silver version of this at auction on eBay. I figured that $250 would be a reasonable price. The auction ended at $1455. C'est la vie!

Chris

48792-_MG_2016.JPG.27d5a5b572f14a1ccc116e95db3d7439.JPG

48793-_MG_2017.JPG.6c6a0099a1b2d104a1e68598646b8684.JPG

Id, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but your 1889 Universal Exposition medal looks to be a poor attempt at copying Louis Bottee's original work shown below. On the bright side, at least you only paid $2 for it.

Chris

48798-_MG_2018.JPG.6ec728fd1374fd2399889cb430b5c603.JPG

48799-_MG_2019.JPG.07b802dd3961b5a3f48d5fb922c795f6.JPG

Id, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but your 1889 Universal Exposition medal looks to be a poor attempt at copying Louis Bottee's original work shown below. On the bright side, at least you only paid $2 for it.

Chris

You are correct Chris.

I'm almost sure that the one I posted was once a fob.

These were used as awards at the expo.

It could also be a more modern copy of one of these awards.

Medals are a lot of fun for the price. :)

My latest addition to my Medal collection.

Obv: Female figure standing between coats of arms of Paris and Orleans; behind two steam locomotives.

Rev: Inscription within an oak and laurel wreath: CHEMIN DE FER DE PARIS A ORLEANS. LOI DU 7 JUILLET 1838. Silver. 37 mm (octagonal piece).

By A. Bovy.

Edge stamped: BEE with ARGENT. Light tone. The railroad line was completed in 1843 and owned by a private company created by the law of July 1838.

Seller's pics. I had missed out on one of these awhile back so am excited to have this one.

Rey

1838ABovyObv.jpg

1838ABovyRev.jpg