• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Dumbest thing you've ever done to a coin???

39 posts in this topic

No CC Morgans, I guarantee it. Most were circ/damaged that I buffed to a bright surface. They made good reusable targets for $1 each. Recovering the silver also saved on buying chemicals for mirroring (and irritating the dickens out of my Mom when I got some on my hands). Also tried coating my own photo paper but without much success. Kodak and Ilford got my photography money....

An old dealer once told me that a lot of LARGE CENTS are HOLED. 

This is because, back in the 1800s, it was supposedly GOOD LUCK to nail a penny to the wall of your barn. 

Has anyone else heard of this?  Fact or myth?  

I think more fact than myth, but it would also be square holes back then since the nails were square, right? I believe they also used to nail or place coins in or above the door frames in houses. I can personally attest to remodeling the original door of my first house, and when I removed the plate around the knob, there was a 1930s cent inside. (Not holed though, and I put a shiny 1998 back in there with it.)

This kind of good luck thing goes back thousands of years. Many "caches" are found in the ground just inside habitations where the door was, placed as gifts to the house god.

18 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I think more fact than myth, but it would also be square holes back then since the nails were square, right? I believe they also used to nail or place coins in or above the door frames in houses. I can personally attest to remodeling the original door of my first house, and when I removed the plate around the knob, there was a 1930s cent inside. (Not holed though, and I put a shiny 1998 back in there with it.)

This kind of good luck thing goes back thousands of years. Many "caches" are found in the ground just inside habitations where the door was, placed as gifts to the house god.

There was also a good luck practice to put a coin at the corners of the house.  Under the roof, above the ceiling.  Attic is the word I'm looking for I think.

Another stupid thing I did was when my grandpa gave me a proof silver dollar from the Canadian mint. Came in a case and everything. I took it out of its case and grabbed it by the face. Big mistake. There is a small fingerprint mark on the reverse. I still kept it tho. Its not really noticeable so maybe I can sell it for more than melt value.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Lancek said:

Nah, i might keep it for now. It is not really noticeable.