• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bi- Centennial Experts - Question/Querys/Posers - 25c/50c/$1

6 posts in this topic

As you probably know as I find these oddities I have posting from my proof sets.I am going through them ALL to submit for multi holders and I came across a quandry and I am wondering if there is a SPECIFIC and/or Correct answer to my question.

In 1975 and 1976 they had the Bi centennial series of Quarters Halfs and Eisenhouwer Dollars to celebrate it - I am sure all us OLD guys remember them.

Is there a Difference in Mint Strike Between the 1975 and 1976 production of Washington Quarters / Kennedy Halfs and Eisenhouwer Halfs that distinguish between them on wether they were produced in 1975 OR 1976.

Remember they all had as a date on the coins of 1776-1976. Reverses are also Identicle between the two years.

popcorn.gif

Yes and no.

There's no difference between the individual quarters and halfs but you can see a difference between groups from the sets since there were die differences from one year to the next.

There is a difference in the Ikes in both mint and proof sets except it's not determined by year of issue since the change over was made around October of 1975. The type I's were made before this date so all the sets contain these. By the time sets were made in '76 all of them were type II's.

There were numerous changes to the obverse and reverse dies in 1975. The obverse die is most easily recognized by a long crease in Ike's neck pointing to the 6 in 1776. The reverse most easily by wider flatter lettering.

There are no known mules but it wouldn't be surprising if someone discovers a lightly worn type I/ type II.

As you probably know as I find these oddities I have posting from my proof sets.I am going through them ALL to submit for multi holders and I came across a quandry and I am wondering if there is a SPECIFIC and/or Correct answer to my question.

In 1975 and 1976 they had the Bi centennial series of Quarters Halfs and Eisenhouwer Dollars to celebrate it - I am sure all us OLD guys remember them.

OLD??? Speak for your self!! I'm still a spring chicken!! insane.gif

Is there a Difference in Mint Strike Between the 1975 and 1976 production of Washington Quarters / Kennedy Halfs and Eisenhouwer Halfs that distinguish between them on wether they were produced in 1975 OR 1976.

For all three denominations, they were produced in clad and 40-percent silver in uncirculated (business strikes) and proofs in clad and silver varieties.

For the quarters and halves, you cannot tell the differences between a coin struck in 1975 versus one in 1976. For the Eisenhower dollar, there were two different dies used. The Type 1 dies were used in 1975. They can be distinguised by lettering on the reverse. The Type 1 lettering is bolder than the Type 2 lettering. Another distinguishing feature is the "R" in dollar is different: the tail is straight on the Type 1 and with a curled tail on the Type 2.

I am in the process of putting together registry sets of the 1976 coins. But I don't like the MS64 dollars I have, so I did not post pictures. Hold on, let me see if I can find an online reference... oh... look... I found this guide from Wayne Herndon on eBay. It has two very good pictures of the word "DOLLAR" and shows the different between the Type 1 and Type 2.

I hope this helps.

Scott hi.gif

Edited to read:

OLD??? Speak for your self!! I'm still a spr u ng chicken!! insane.gif

Chris devil.gif

For all three denominations, they were produced in clad and 40-percent silver in uncirculated (business strikes) and proofs in clad and silver varieties.

For the quarters and halves, you cannot tell the differences between a coin struck in 1975 versus one in 1976. For the Eisenhower dollar, there were two different dies used. The Type 1 dies were used in 1975. They can be distinguised by lettering on the reverse. The Type 1 lettering is bolder than the Type 2 lettering. Another distinguishing feature is the "R" in dollar is different: the tail is straight on the Type 1 and with a curled tail on the Type 2.

I am in the process of putting together registry sets of the 1976 coins. But I don't like the MS64 dollars I have, so I did not post pictures. Hold on, let me see if I can find an online reference... oh... look... I found this guide from Wayne Herndon on eBay. It has two very good pictures of the word "DOLLAR" and shows the different between the Type 1 and Type 2.

I hope this helps.

Scott hi.gif

If anyone still has questions about the Ikes, you might want to contact Billy Crawford (DieVarieties). He co-authored a book on Ikes.

Chris