Post your most recent acquisition: World
10 10

2,073 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2021 at 7:17 PM, RWB said:

The imitation 5 Mark pieces, as shown in the photos, are merely mediocre sculpting workmanship. Modeling of the figures is awkward, especially hands and fingers. The pieces also, if intended to be German should read "silber" not "silver" and have weights in grams.

@RWB they are silver rounds from a new private mint that opened up a few years back the Germania mint struck for modern collectors , I been collecting them since they first came out on the European market . The proof are hard to find on US market I have get proofs from a dealer in Germany the other regular strikes can be found all over Ebay at wacky prices they are low mintage issues but nothing to write back home about I don’t intend sending any in for grading or anything just something different to look at in my collection I seen some graded examples going for crazy prices through bidding wars , it’s just dumb ! So easier buy your own and ship it in for grading and save on the cost of someone really wants a graded Germania “silber runden” 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jason Abshier

I like it very much.  You feel it was overgraded; I feel differently but then I have the advantage of a 30-power loupe [I have the the luxury of using when V Kurt B isn't watching].  :whistle:Besides, who am I to challenge a one-time Senior Grading Finalist of World Coins at NGC?  🐓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not real good at grading gold nor do I look at a lot of gold . I guess I have to remember gold is softer type of metal shows softer sheen makes it look like weak strike sometimes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Quintus Arrius you got @RWB all fired up about them Germania coins 🤣 , we all know RWB only loves them boring overrated Morgan dollars of Anna Willess Williams on observe of the coin and the awkward St. Gaudens which was a bad modeling “figure” display on obverse of the coin that can’t compare to A.W design of walking liberty half dollar is the probably the “king” of all beautiful US coinage if you really compare beauty in the eyes of the beholder that’s probably the only US coin that is ranked #1 US coin on my list for beauty and craftsmanship (#2 on my list is a Mercury dime) all other US coinage is overrated awkward and ugly as they come I’m just ruffling RWB’s feathers 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@EdG_Ohio  You have a comparatively small old gold coin with a fairly respectable high grade as assigned by a top TPGS.

So far, so good.

Now your only concern is predicting the future performance of precious metals markets.  It's been said gold, subject to fluctuations, has held its value throughout history. You've done just about all you can in terms of prolonging preservation so all you can do now is wait.  No one can predict the future -- and I do not know how many other such coins have survived in such condition or whether what you have is rare -- but these are questions your progeny will have to contend with. You have done all you can with what you've got so be sure to safeguard it as you would any other valuable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 8:37 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

@EdG_Ohio  You have a comparatively small old gold coin with a fairly respectable high grade as assigned by a top TPGS.

So far, so good.

Now your only concern is predicting the future performance of precious metals markets.  It's been said gold, subject to fluctuations, has held its value throughout history. You've done just about all you can in terms of prolonging preservation so all you can do now is wait.  No one can predict the future -- and I do not know how many other such coins have survived in such condition or whether what you have is rare -- but these are questions your progeny will have to contend with. You have done all you can with what you've got so be sure to safeguard it as you would any other valuable.

I suppose I should clarify my statement. When referring to prices I meant what the TPGs charge. NGC just recently increased their fees and given when the  time comes for reselling,  or even researching, the bulk of the work has been done. I can't see grading services getting any less expensive so I'd rather pay a lower fee now as opposed to a higher fee later.

Ed G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, Jason Abshier said:

1919E German empire 1/2 mark , so much patina on it hard see all details but under a loupe the strike is strong ! one of the 3 in 67 grade . 3 in the higher grades 

4D6D2729-CBC5-4857-A61E-E9198C535A7C.jpeg

81017EBD-C04C-418B-B850-D9D7DBB73282.jpeg

93B0544E-732A-4E29-B020-8C9B9DF530D6.jpeg

22BF819C-97EF-4325-A8A0-63B13FBFD93B.jpeg

Very nice pickup, Jason.  I used to collect German coins myself, and I always had a soft spot for those from Muldenhutten (and Hamburg).  It's really nice to see a pretty E mint again....brings back memories.  Thanks for sharing that!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, EdG_Ohio said:

I suppose I should clarify my statement. When referring to prices I meant what the TPGs charge. NGC just recently increased their fees and given when the  time comes for reselling,  or even researching, the bulk of the work has been done. I can't see grading services getting any less expensive so I'd rather pay a lower fee now as opposed to a higher fee later.

Ed G.

Smart move!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 11:17 PM, Mohawk said:

I always had a soft spot for those from Muldenhutten (and Hamburg)

@Mowhawk J-(Hamburg) , G-(Karlsruhe) , E-(Muldenhutten) seems to be the desirable mints of 1 and 1/2 marks series among collectors … someday I hope to own a 1908F (stuttgart) but at $5k-$6k+ for a tiny half mark in VF condition that’s a lot dough to drop on a coin in the series . Tough one to find at but only 1,000 were minted but real questions is how many survived ? I’ve never seen one in person in Mint state condition 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2021 at 8:18 AM, Abuelo's Collection said:

Hello! I have not uploaded a coin to the forums for a while but I am very happy for this one. A 50 centavos from the Second Republic in Mexico. And from a provincial mint! And nicely toned! So hard to get in nice condition. Enjoy!

 

 

IMG_20210904_181217_705.jpg

20210904_180805.jpg

That’s a very nice coin love the patina on it ! The way a 130+ year old coin should look you planning on sending it in for grading ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
10 10