Post your most recent acquisition: World
12 12

1,976 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

would of been a lot better had some nimrod not drill a 1/8th hole right thru the oldest (and best condition ) coin in the lot.

Kinda heartbreaking. Ive seen several nice ones on Ebay with big holes drilled in them. If they only knew what they were doing back then. 

Edited by Hoghead515

After the 59' 50¢ FBL I picked up this one to add to my Birth Year collection, a restrike issue. The Rev shows the true buttery color of the coin, for the life of me I couldn't get a good one of the Obv. Maybe it's time to use a real camera instead of phone LOL. Thanks for looking.

1959.10pesos.raw01[1].jpg

Edited by EdG_Ohio

20 bucks netted me a 1954 au dime ...an 1887 seated liberty ef20, and a 1957 proof 65 penny fresh as the day it was minted..........plus dozens of proof and unc pennies all worth under 5 bucks each......Nice score at the local pawn shop....Funny thing is I was hovering over the coin display and the counter help said ''I was out of luck he had just sold all his silver coins''.....''Yeah, ok''.....''lessee what you have'' I said.

18 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

Picked up these two at the end of 2020. 

1597-Poland_3Gr_PCGS_MS63_composite.jpg

1810_MoHJ_8R_PCGS_AU55_composite.jpg

Love those coins. The engravers of both of them done a wonderful job on the details of them. I can only imagine how long it took them to carve those amazing works of art into the dies. Congratulations. Those are awsome finds. 

A pleasant mistake by auctioneer. I've had these for some time now and only got them due to the auctioneer sending me the wrong coin, the 1953 Cinco. 
     I was suppose to get a 1959 coin for my birth year collection. One we squared things up he had me keep the 1953 Cinco and also sent the South Korean BiMetal coin as a "sorry I screwed up up" gift.
 I actually like them both and the 53' will go nicely with some of the Mexico coins I like now.

1953.Cinco.Obv[1].jpg

1953.Cinco.Rev[1].jpg

SK.2000.Obv[1].jpg

SK.2000.Rev[1].jpg

nope, wasn't me I did grab a 3 piece morgan set 1921 p d s .....the case is worth the added $ I spent....just over a buck fiddy. Don't tell the wife......I told her I wasn't buying anything for lent........I need to give up something else now.

Kinda of a blend of US/World, Minted in U.S. for the Philippines. Was after a 1959 Hawaiian token and happened upon this. Nice condition at a decent price...and I like the history behind it.
I'll be removing it from the Whitman looking holder shortly to have a better look-see.

1947.Gen.Mac.PhilippineSet.Obv[1].jpg

1947.Gen.Mac.PhilippineSet.Rev[1].jpg

In our favourite section “Coins you have never seen before, coins you are not likely to see ever again”, this specimen. Coins from the Early Series of the Charles and Johanna series for Mexico City are all rare, particularly lower denominations as the 4 reales were minted in larger numbers to ship to Spain. Assayer F is perhaps the rarest of all assayers in the series. His name and tenure dates are unknown. Cori Sedwick Downing in her paper “The Charles and Joanna Coinage of Mexico City, 1536-1571: A Research Study on the Early Series and Introduction to the Late Series” (unknown to me the date of publication) wrote that Assayer F minted ½, 1, 2, and 4 reales. “There are approximately 26 coins known in collections and auctions, with the majority from the “Golden Fleece wreck” (ca. 1550), one from the “Ines de Soto wreck” (ca. 1557), and none from the Spanish 1554 Fleet (Padre Island)”. She describes the main type of 1-real coins: Latin M-F flanking shield and left-leaning rhomboid banner between pillars. In her paper “An Overview of Charles and Johanna Coinage from Mexico City Mint” (USMexNA Journal 2017) she wrote ”I have cataloged only 36 Assayer F coins, in all denominations”. As we can see, there were few more coins described between both papers. Kent Ponterio in his paper “The Coinage of Mexico Struck During the Reign of Charles and Johanna” (revised June 2009) he stated that Assayer F is the third assayer of the Early Series. “Coins of this assayer are anywhere from extremely rare to unique” and suggests he was an interim assayer sometime in 1540 or 1541. He suggests 3 possible candidates: Francisco de Loaysa, Esteban Franco (also favoured by Ms Downing), or less likely, Francisco Rodriguez (from the Santo Domingo mint). As of today, is the only real graded by NGC for the assayer and type, therefore Top Pop.

3989270_Full_Obv.jpg

3989270_Full_Rev.jpg