• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

I've already posted about the 1663 German States Thaler that I picked up at the Baltimore convention. Here's the other one that I acquired at the same time.

~jack

148502.jpg.ff693c7c579d51827cd74cee9344841f.jpg

148503.jpg.f70afc486864f16598d5b17b3f302eb6.jpg

Although bronzed and copper tokens might show up in a population report as "BN",

bronzed examples tend to be uniformly brown like medals while copper examples often

exhibit some variation in color. This Conder token is Middlesex 24 one of the early private issues.

Project2-2.jpg

Lovely Midd-24 pieces Yarm! I love the look of bronzed pieces. The uniform chocolate brown look of them is hard to beat!

Here's an example of one of my Midd-342 bronzed halfpenny tokens below. One other interesting thing about bronzed pieces is that they usually have a lovely iridescence when tilted into the light. This token was raw when I photographed it below, but now resides in an NGC MS65BN holder. :) The 2nd image below is the token tilted into the light, with great amounts of blue iridescence!

1790s_Middlsex_DH342_direct_perpendicular_composite_zpsaaa951dc.jpg

1790s_Middlsex_DH342_tilted_composite_zps224efa7f.jpg

PCGS MS70 Wedge Tail Eagle signed by John Mercanti. Stunning reverse proof like features. Much nicer than I imagined. I see this becoming a classic on going series for Perth ans US Collectors as this is the first time in US Mint history a former Chief engraver designed the coin for a foreign Country.

148534.jpg.d72f0f6474d19acfbc1d6cc8d9c102a3.jpg

148535.jpg.cfec0fab60b252a7a182c15f8b78923c.jpg

Thanks Brandon and it came in looking slightly better than I thought it might (ebay Purchase). NGC PF62 but I bought it for the toning.

I will get started on pictures of those coins I received from you soon. I am intending on using them to find out just how you take such damn good pictures! ;)

Got some old Britannia issues from a coin show I went to today...

1997 UK BU 100 Pound Britannia gold (Britannia as Boadicea on Chariot)

2001 UK BU 100 Pound Britannia gold (Britannia as Una and the Lion)

2003 UK BU 100 Pound Britannia gold (Britannia as Helmeted Athena)

Plus another current year...

2014 Canada BU C$50 Five Blessings gold

4590ee0c-6a5e-4c56-b699-5cd553239f83_zpsfb36e2b2.jpg

Edited by trozau

I was curious what it took to get a MS65 grade for a white metal medal so I went after this one on Ebay. In my experience, white metal doesn't hold up very well over time and any marks or wipes show up glaringly.

This medal of Victoria and Albert (BHM #2419) is housed in the old style large holder. It's a lot lighter than the current jumbo holders.

_57.jpg

_572.jpg

1937 King George V and Queen mary Silver Jubilee medal.

Although I am getting better with Brandons Photo Pointers, this example really looks much better in hand. Beautiful piece.

1935_George_Mary_Silver_Jubilee_Meadal_with_Loop.jpg

Here is a South African quarter penny to compliment you penny and half penny.

1923_King_George_V_S_Africa_Quarter_Penny.jpg

1937 Proof Threepence and my picture nearly makes it look like a matte. Not a chance.

1937_King_George_VI_Proof_Three_Pence.jpg