• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Widget (in coin context)

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Lifted from another thread:

The way I have always interpreted the term widget as it applies to coins is any coin that is sufficiently generic so that there is nearly always an easily accessed quantity available.

--TomB

Tom is correct. A widget is any coin that could be found at any show or coin shop at any time. A common date, blast white Morgan for example.

-- Wihlborg

Oh, and one other thing. The term has nothing to do with eye appeal. Some widgets are very eye appealing.

-- Wihlborg

• Administrator

((( I'd say that a widget is a very common coin, with virtually no eye appeal, that only constitutes the price it is sold at because it's in Plastic.

... the term widget as it applies to coins is any coin that is sufficiently generic so that there is nearly always an easily accessed quantity available.

A widget is any coin that could be found at any show or coin shop at any time. A common date, blast white Morgan for example.

Widget is a loose definition with no absolute boundaries, but within a criterion of more common coinage. )))

I just wanted to collect all these suggested definitions for "widget", because they all do a good job of getting to the heart of the matter. I think they all apply very well, though there is no specific definition for the term (which of course, comes from the study of Accounting to begin with). But numismatically, a widget is a widget is a widget, and to pay extra for a certain logo on a widget is, I think, money poorly spent.

Of course, there may be registry considerations, but that is a separate argument.

---James_EarlyUS