• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A soft market?

9 posts in this topic

This quote is from Mark Feld's latest email:

A number of areas of the rare coin market have softened recently, and this is an especially good time to be patient and particular. Use this market weakness to YOUR advantage and remember, most coins are replaceable, even if it might not feel that way when you are holding them in your hands.

This coupled with the Long Beach report has peeked my curiosity.

What areas have softened? Why and by how much?

Victor----I think that you already know the answers to your question. But I think that what we used to call common gold is down---they call it generic gold these days. I would imagine that the common dated Morgans [widgets today] are too numerous to count. Then most of the modern coinage---including much of the stuff from the mint---is probably suffering some. Then I think most of the AT stuff---whether in a holder or not---word has probably gotten around to even the general collectors. Anything that is in the AG--VG range---unless the coins are 'rare' have probably fallen as the price of silver and gold has fallen recently.

But, the truly valuable coin---the rare coin---the hard to find in a series coin---the truly beautiful NT coin that you would buy holdered or "RAW"---these coins will mostly hold their value. WHY? Cause there is always a guy who knows how 'rare' the coin is----that it will not be seen but every so often. The kind of coin that, if you pass on it, you will be kicking yourself for months or years. Also the original skinned coins will mostly always sell. I know that I will still buy Walkers if I like them----low or high market. Bob [supertooth]

But, the truly valuable coin---the rare coin---the hard to find in a series coin---the truly beautiful NT coin that you would buy holdered or "RAW"---these coins will mostly hold their value. WHY? Cause there is always a guy who knows how 'rare' the coin is----that it will not be seen but every so often. The kind of coin that, if you pass on it, you will be kicking yourself for months or years. Also the original skinned coins will mostly always sell.

Bob, that answers my question right there. Perhaps the "fluff" coins which depend upon hype for sales is what is suffering but the classic coins with originality and appeal are still extremely scarce to find. Afterall, if dealers can not supply coins such as these in their inventories then they (in general) will need to fill it with something else. Perhaps it is this area in the market which is softening?

...classic coins with originality and appeal are still extremely scarce to find.

Can you cite some examples?

Ask most any type collector with an eye for beauty at how difficult it is to obtain needed coins. I had waited for 3 years to find a Bust Dime that I found appealing and it was only through my connections on these boards that I was able to find one.

Most of my other quality, eye-appealing coins have been picked up one at a time as the opportunity arose. These coins just are not out there. Mark Feld has been looking for a PR 64 Cameo Seated Liberty half dollar for me for over 2 years now but still has not found one.

Collectors are holding onto their good stuff it seems which means that there is an extremely limited supply of quality coins at fair prices.

Victor-----See, I knew that you already knew the answers. And, when a decent coin or coins do appear for sale, someone will grab them up no matter whether the rest of the coin marketplace is soft or hot. Those of us looking for particular kinds of coins will buy them no matter what----if they become available. What Laura from Legend and others are complaining about are the coins that are now in PCGS and NGC and ANACS holders which do not meet acceptable standards for the grade. There are sooooo many of them in their coffins that it is draging the whole market down I would guess. Shame for all decent collectors to have to put up with inferior material. Bob [supertooth]