• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NTC Grading

9 posts in this topic

I am new to coin collecting and have bought some NTC graded coins. Can anyone tell me if their grading is good. I only buy certified since I really cant tell the difference between MS grades yet. confused.gif

Well, if you only buy certified, sorry to inform you that NTC is way off. They can even slab fake, altered, and artificially colored coins. In my limited experience, NTC seems to be between 2 and 6 grades off of what is hobby-wide accepted. NGC, PCGS, or ANACS should be the services you look for. NGC being considered the best by many, then PCGS, and finally ANACS. Most others are just thrown together overnight and don't deserve anyone's business.

Welcome to the boards and collecting in general!

The top for Third Party Grading companies, in my opinion would be NCG, PCGS, ANACS and ICG. These companies authenticate coins as well as grade them so you are less likely to get a counterfeit buying a coin certified by them. I have one coin graded by NTC and feel that is overgraded by a point. You can find good coins in other holders but they are not as consistent as the top four.

Do you have Photograde or the ANA guide to grading by Whitman Press? These can be a good place to start. Another is to look at as many coins as you can at a larger coin show to see how the top companies grade them. The Internet can also be helpful but it can be hard grading a coin through photos. It is much easier having them in hand. Stick on these boards. The more knowledegable people (not me) will be quick to assist you and help you grow in your ability to grade.

Again, welcome!

NTC is used by shady dealers to slab problem coins. If your dealer pedominantly sells slabs such as NTC or ACG then I would never trust him since it appears that there is a major integrity flaw.

This is a lesson that had cost me many hundreds of dollars when I started.

When you see a coin in a NTC holder, look at it the same way as you would if the coin was in a 2x2 with a grade scribbled on it.

((( I am new to coin collecting and have bought some NTC graded coins. Can anyone tell me if their grading is good. I only buy certified since I really cant tell the difference between MS grades yet. )))

NTC DOES NOT CERTIFY COINS, they only "grade" them. Buying certified coins is a great idea, but please, for your own protection, educate your self on what entails "certification" by reading this article on the subject, and learning why NTC does not qualify as a certification company.

James

Can you tell me if i see a coin it has ngc on grade then you look at other coins they graded some have a higher # not as nice as my 62 .is it possible to get ngc to regrade a coin hoping to get a better grade not knowing when it was graded?

If you submit an NGC coin regrading, yes there is a chance it will get graded higher.  But if you are not a very good grader yourself who can pick out coins that have been undergraded the odds are not in your favor.