• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Chambers Makes Me Laugh...

14 posts in this topic

Ok, so I was watching Coin Vault last night when Robert Chambers said the funniest thing. He was presenting the Proof Gold Buffalos First Strikes NGC PF69 and PF70. He held up the 69 next to the 70, and the 69 was was 10X as brilliant as the 70. Robert says "It's not about which one is shinier than the other, it's ALL about what's on that label."

Now this hit me as being the polar opposite of what I've learned about slabbed coins! Buy the coin and not the holder! He brought out some BU walkers, and he said the same thing! Buy the label, and not the coin! This is exactly why I don't buy from Coin Vault...

Coin Vault is the worst show in coins. Ever. Everything there is way overpriced, and a giant ripoff. It comes on on the Shop At Home network some nights after 8, and some days in the wee hours of the morning. Website:

www.shopathometv.com

My wife stumbled on to it one night a few months ago, she calls me into the family room saying “you got to see this, I can’t believe it’s real”. We watch and laughed for awhile, these people are almost unbelievable, but when I see coins being marketed so over priced I think what a disservice a show like this really is to the hobby. How many people who started out with enough interest in the hobby to buy some coins, get ripped with over priced poor for the grade coins, find out as their experience in the coin market grows, then become mad, and give up on what could have been an enjoyable pastime.

You could say it’s a buyer beware world and you should gain knowledge before making purchases but a show like that makes it so easy for an inexperienced novice to get sucker into with their slick con, sounding so knowledgeable about the rare coin market… making you feel foolish if you don’t jump on board now before those limited supplies dwindle and prices sky rocket!!

The more people collect coins and have an interest in numismatics the better it is for every one involved in the hobby, in short, if the number of people interested in coin collecting wanes so does the value of our coin collections.

The coin vault has been around for along time selling coins via TV and getting HIGH prices for there coins that are RARE and a good BUY! We all know to stay away from them and such. I watch sometimes and just laugh, but the sad fact is they sell alot of coins.

I thought that last month it was going off the air. What gives?

Someone needs to drive a wooden stake through its heart.

Someone needs to drive a wooden stake through its heart.

Are you kidding? They had to get profit from the sale of the buffalo gold coins...

It appears that the folks behind Coin Vault (SilverTowne, L.P. or another entity related thereto) put together a consortium with Jewelry Television and key former Scripps Networks ShopAtHomeTV employees to acquire the ShopAtHomeTV operational assets and continue operating as a new entity.

So far, the broadcast day is divided between Jewelry Television offerings during the day and collectibles during late night and early morning. Recently they've added some home goods reminiscent of the previous ShopAtHomeTV. With the Coin Vault crew back in control of the collectibles side (which they weren't with previous management), they've restored collectible cutlery (i.e. knives) and sports memorabilia to the lineup.

Frankly, I'm glad to see Chambers continuing the broadcasts. While the merchandise is almost always grossly overpriced, I find Chambers entertaining and occasionally learn something I didn't know, especially when he presents currency (about which I know next to nothing). In addition, the show does serve to introduce people to numismatics who might otherwise never feel the inclination, even if those people pay more than necessary for their initial purchases.

So I don't think it's all bad.

Beijim

Thanks, Beijim, for the explanation. You made some good points. It is entertainment for a knowledgeable numismatist like yourself, it's the rookie that needs to beware.

Beijim, and anybody else that knows the following to be fact. Are you saying Silver Towne is behind Coin Vault? Like owns them or something? I've never heard of this before and would like to know. If so, is Silver Towne a member of the ANA? If so, I'm going to make a formal, written complaint to the ANA board of govs and see if I can get them kicked out!!! Why should someone like Silver Towne be exempt from the ANA guidelines....providing that Silver Towne is in fact behind Coin Vault and is a member of the ANA. Think the ANA would have enough guts to boot them? LOLOLOLOL. Even a louder lol.

Also, wasn't one of the "big dogs" from NGC on the show one night? Maybe the ANA should rethink who their official grading co. is.

Jerry

My understanding from (as I recall) Coin World and other journalism sources, message board posts, and occasional remarks on CoinVault itself referring to the geographic location of the CoinVault parent company is that SilverTowne, L.P. is the company behind CoinVault.

I haven't verified this information firsthand nor do I know the definition of "behind" from even an operational, let alone legal, standpoint. I have, however, heard this from several sources over multiple years. My working assumption is that SilverTowne owns the rights to the show and provides the inventory and fulfillment services for its customers. It was always interesting during the life of the previous ShopAtHomeTV incarnation that the Coin Vault principles were never listed as ShopAtHomeTV hosts, yet by all accounts the show was the most profitable of the network's programming segments.

Perhaps some nice member on these boards can confirm (or debunk) this information citing an authoritative source.

Regards,

Beijim

Everytime I turn around there seems to be one more thing with this hobby that just wants to make me throw up. I'm going to keep digging around to I come up with the truth here.

Jerry