• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,898 posts in this topic

My coolest newp was a 1787 George III shilling, which I shall slip under the ol’ microscope tomorrow, and a very nice 1951 proof shilling still in original packaging, but cut apart from the rest of the set. Remember, 1951 was special. That was the year of the Festival of Britain, and many are aware of the nice Crowns struck that year.

My next piece of advice for Brad is to save up for a nice common date MS65. By putting them side by side with his MS63’s, he’ll begin to internalize what a 64 looks like.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

General query: Anyone know why the numeral 8 in 1938 Jefferson Nickels doesn't look more like the 8 as type-written here?

The 8 from the 1938 Jefferson was a remnant from the first proposed design that Felix Schlag offered. It was a very artistic piece, with all kinds of new wrinkles. Remember the zeitgeist of the USA in the very late thirties. The depression was starting to wane, more powerful cars were taking over the roads, everything was future centric. Read up of the 1939 World’s Fair in New York. Then September 1, 1939 happened and we had a maniac or three to deal with. The style of the 8 survived the change over from the original design.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/21/2021 at 11:36 PM, VKurtB said:

YIKES! I just looked up what a 63 goes for in the 1883-S. ¡Ay caramba! Maybe Brad needs to pick up a nice 1881-S instead. 

You want some real sticker shock?  Look up the 1884-S in that grade!!! An 1881-S would definitely be more affordable and just as pretty.

On 8/21/2021 at 8:28 PM, VKurtB said:

I told Brad he could advance his journey through the world of Morgan dollars by assembling an all mints set of Morgans of the same year. Since he already had the Philly before we met, and he was looking at several dates for his next purchase, and one was the 1883-O you see above, I recommended that as #2. The 1883-CC is fairly affordable compared with other dates. All mints have a different look. I don’t remember off hand how dear the 1883-S is. But studying closely all the mints and the subtle differences thereof, is an education in itself. 

Serious Morgan guys can tell which mint is which without even having to flip them over. I’m not there yet.

@GBradif you want the other mints hit me up. I have 4 83CCs in MS63 I would part with. Also have a couple raw that are about that. If interested I can see what all I have In 83S. I recently bought a large hoard of Morgans. I’ve got many MS65s also if you take Kurt’s advice. 

On 8/21/2021 at 9:38 PM, VKurtB said:

My coolest newp was a 1787 George III shilling, which I shall slip under the ol’ microscope tomorrow, and a very nice 1951 proof shilling still in original packaging, but cut apart from the rest of the set. Remember, 1951 was special. That was the year of the Festival of Britain, and many are aware of the nice Crowns struck that year.

]Not so fast.  1951 was special, first and foremost because that was the year your [older] protégé was born.]

On 8/21/2021 at 9:28 PM, VKurtB said:

I told Brad he could advance his journey through the world of Morgan dollars by assembling an all mints set of Morgans of the same year. Since he already had the Philly before we met, and he was looking at several dates for his next purchase, and one was the 1883-O you see above, I recommended that as #2. The 1883-CC is fairly affordable compared with other dates. All mints have a different look. I don’t remember off hand how dear the 1883-S is. But studying closely all the mints and the subtle differences thereof, is an education in itself. 

Serious Morgan guys can tell which mint is which without even having to flip them over. I’m not there yet.

Yes….. Exactly what @VKurtB told me!  Thank you! (thumbsu

Hey... I saw this coin with my own eyes, in hand, at the show.  Not a friggin clue what I was looking at (yes, I'm starting show my ignorance at this point concerning worlds...) but it was the oldest coin I have ever had the opportunity to hold (in the flip it stayed of course) and it was a really beautiful piece no doubt.  Thanks for allowing me to see and hold that beaut!!!

On 8/21/2021 at 11:36 PM, VKurtB said:

YIKES! I just looked up what a 63 goes for in the 1883-S. ¡Ay caramba! Maybe Brad needs to pick up a nice 1881-S instead. 

SHHHHHHH!!!!! Demmit........xD

On 8/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, GBrad said:

Being that I am extremely new to purchasing graded and slabbed coins outside my realm of expertise (actually, I’m not an expert on anything truth be known, especially coins…) I attended the BRNA show in Dalton, GA today. I had the great pleasure of meeting forum member VKurtB who was at the show as well. Extremely nice guy and very knowledgeable! That is probably an understatement. He twisted my arm and forced me to buy a Morgan….. I was totally and completely against it……,, (don’t believe me, I asked for his advice and help which he more than willingly gave…..😁).  I have never owned any Morgan Dollars, always wanted to, so I found a couple well within in my budget and bought them just to say “I now own Morgans”. Beautiful coins (to me) and a far cry from the Linc’s I am much more knowledgeable of and predominately collect. Here’s a pic of the two I got for pretty good deals. I’m very happy with them being that I’m not anywhere near the point of trying to assemble any type of set in the foreseeable future. 

003A0E42-D0E0-4648-B98D-089FB96A0A20.jpeg

Careful--buying a few Morgans at a local coin shop (raw coins, common dates, in pretty high grades for just above silver value; just because I wanted to own a few silver dollars) was what reignited my coin collecting.  To me, there's still nothing like a silver dollar, and I now own 85 distinct Morgans (and still buy one a month, or so) and all 24 Peace dollars (relatively few of my silver dollars are in mint state, and none above MS64+).  I'm poorer, but I just love looking at them in their albums (or slabs)!

Edited by 124Spider

Just noticed the page number this entire thread is currently on :devil:  ...... YUCK!     Someone hurry up and make a bunch of posts on this topic so we can get to page 667....!!!!!

On 8/22/2021 at 2:18 PM, 124Spider said:

Careful--buying a few Morgans at a local coin shop (raw coins, common dates, in pretty high grades for just above silver value; just because I wanted to own a few silver dollars) was what reignited my coin collecting.  To me, there's still nothing like a silver dollar, and I now own 85 distinct Morgans (and still buy one a month, or so) and all 24 Peace dollars (relatively few of my silver dollars are in mint state, and none above MS64+).  I'm poorer, but I just love looking at them in their albums (or slabs)!

I will say this, based on what I spent on my two Morgans, taking into account what silver melt value currently is (which is NEVER going to happen on my end with these babies) and then add in what TPG fees would amount to for slabbing of these coins..... I am fairly certain I came out well ahead in my purchase(s).  

On 8/22/2021 at 11:39 AM, GBrad said:

I will say this, based on what I spent on my two Morgans, taking into account what silver melt value currently is (which is NEVER going to happen on my end with these babies) and then add in what TPG fees would amount to for slabbing of these coins..... I am fairly certain I came out well ahead in my purchase(s).  

To clarify:  By "careful," I meant to warn you that those beautiful, iconic coins can be addictive.  So many of them are still quite inexpensive, even in mint state or almost mint state, that you're not likely to be taken for a  ride if you're careful; but 100 multiplied by even a fairly small number amounts to a lot of money over time!  Think of mint state common dates as a gateway drug!

Edited by 124Spider

Come on page 667!........ I'm going to keep posting until this topic gets to the next page!!! I ain't kiddin!!!! I didn't go to church today and I should have!!!

Edited by GBrad

Here's the 1983-S Kennedy Half PR69 DCAM (a beautiful clad might I add) I received a few weeks ago from L&C Coins (already slabbed).  They have been an absolute pleasure to work with and I will definitely purchase from them again in the future when I save up some more play $$$.  Once again, this is a 1983 year which has some meaning to me and my family thus the reason for my admiration of coins dated 83'.  Just a beautiful coin all the way around, I'm very pleased with it, especially the price.  I think PR69 is a bit conservative on this one, thinking it should have at least achieved a +, but then again, I'm not a grader.  Not a blemish anywhere on this Half as far as I can see.  Sorry for the rough pics. Couldn't get a good pic of the fields due to the glare from the blinding mirror finish.  My best and newest iPhone I previously used for good quality pics died awhile ago and now I'm stuck with an older model...... oh well, could be worse.... 

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

Edited by GBrad

On 8/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

On 8/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Duplicate post, my apologies!

You can’t possibly understand from the above photo how ultra-frosty those devices are. That may be the most contrast I’ve seen on a ‘83 proof half. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, VKurtB said:

You can’t possibly understand from the above photo how ultra-frosty those devices are. That may be the most contrast I’ve seen on a ‘83 proof half. 

Coming from your lips, that means an awful lot.

On 8/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Coming from your lips, that means an awful lot.

I forget what year it was when the U.S. went to laser etching the devices on proofs, but I know it was well after 1983 and Brad’s Kennedy was THAT frosty. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, VKurtB said:

Agreed 100%  I sell modern U.S. coins to fund my little Faustina problem and I've seen more than my fair share of 1983 proofs of all denominations. Brad's half is truly exceptional.  I can definitely discern that from the photo of the obverse.

Edited by Mohawk

Just want to thank everyone for the comments on my 1983 Kennedy Half PR69.  I truly appreciate it.  I honestly can't put it down to stop looking at it.  It's that beautiful to me personally.  I'm happy to share it with you all.  Thanks!!

On 5/29/2021 at 10:54 AM, Simmoleon said:

Normally buy ancient or British coins but my first gold US coin. I’ll submit it for grading and see how it does but this one just called out to me and I bought it

Thanks

Steve

F0DC33FB-C26A-4E3B-AF1A-E6C1FAFA7774.jpeg

Finally graded and came back an MS62 - happy the coin is issue free but obviously little disappointed as my expectation never reflects reality but to be honest it’s a very nice coin and got no real argument why it’s not an MS62. So no complaints here and my first graded US coin as gone well!

My coolest newp was a 1787 George III shilling, which I shall slip under the ol’ microscope tomorrow, and a very nice 1951 proof shilling still in original packaging, but cut apart from the rest of the set.

This missed me the first time around...

Did you say microscope? What was wrong with that 5 to 7 monocle, excuse me, loupe. It cracked?  Do you recall eviscerated, nay, disemboweling member, ME, for using a mere 30-x loupe?

No further questions, your Honor (and don't even think of pulling a fast one by claiming, It's only a ten-power,...what?)

On 8/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

This missed me the first time around...

Did you say microscope? What was wrong with that 5 to 7 monocle, excuse me, loupe. It cracked?  Do you recall eviscerated, nay, disemboweling member, ME, for using a mere 30-x loupe?

No further questions, your Honor (and don't even think of pulling a fast one by claiming, It's only a ten-power,...what?)

It’s a stereo microscope, with photo tube, that I use primarily between 3.5x and 7x. The one I own is now discontinued, but this is a similar one from the same vendor. My base scope starts at 7x, but I use a 0.5x Barlow lens, which takes it down to 3.5x.

7D531187-1DE5-490F-8684-ECF180A58D9E.png

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s a stereo microscope, with photo tube, that I use primarily between 3.5x and 7x. The one I own is now discontinued, but this is a similar one from the same vendor. My base scope starts at 7x, but I use a 0.5x Barlow lens, which takes it down to 3.5x.

7D531187-1DE5-490F-8684-ECF180A58D9E.png

You are aware, that this hubblesque contraption includes -- according to what I read here -- a 30X  feature as a standard part of the equipment.