• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are NGC's standard for PL and DPL Morgans?

8 posts in this topic

Good morning,

I was just wondering if you could tell me what NGC's standards are for PL and DPL Morgans? Such as a you should be able to view text _" away in the reflection on a PL,etc?

Thanks,

Hayden

Hi Hayden,

As a very loose rule, a PL should display clear reflections in the fields from 2" to 4", while a DPL should show clear reflections from 6". In some ways, the clarity of the reflections is of greater consideration then the depth. One way to think about the surface of a PL or DPL dollar is as a mist on a mirror. Less mist (i.e. metal flow, cartwheel) means better clarity. Although many collectors are concerned about depth of reflection, they should also be concerned about clarity of reflection.

Thanks,

Does this "rule of thumb" apply to all denominations and compositions? Obviously, depth is key, as is clarity of projection as mentioned in your first response. What other factors are considered, if any, say on Lincoln cents? confused-smiley-013.gif

Michael Prescott

NGC will designate world coins as PL or DPL in some instances. Coins such as Canadian Coins that come in PL sets will not be designated PL because they are issued that way. Some modern coins come only PL or with special finishes that are similar to proof, these too will not be designated PL. World coins are designated on a case by case basis for such designations.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2006 at 9:58 AM, Jay Turner said:

NGC will designate world coins as PL or DPL in some instances. Coins such as Canadian Coins that come in PL sets will not be designated PL because they are issued that way. Some modern coins come only PL or with special finishes that are similar to proof, these too will not be designated PL. World coins are designated on a case by case basis for such designations.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor

I am bumping this old thread because I am curious what is used for PL designation in modern circulation strikes.  Are there any written guidelines or standards?