What You Need To Know----Important
6 6

68 posts in this topic

2 posts

Due to an illness that has kept me from my job I have recently started to get interested in buying coins. It seems to be a way to keep busy and have fun.I have bought around 100 coins within the last year. These are coins I paid any where from $5.00 to $ 100.00 for. SO I AM A NEW B.

I have what might be a simple question.

I've noticed a lot of newer 2011 proof silver dimes that are selling on ebay for $11.00 to $15.00. These dimes are NGC graded pf70. The NGC site shows values above $50.00.

What am I missing?

Ttom

633 posts

the price guide is not real accurate ,for current price trends try looking at auction archives on heritage or teletrade to see what people have actually been paying.when I bid on Washington quarters for my set I usually go about half the NGC price guide,some I win some I dont!!! hope this helps

Jason

Edited by jayman1970

2,129 posts
An early post mentioned a Peace dollar scandal. What was it?

An artificially toned Peace Dollar ended up in an NGC slab in 2006 and was put up for sale with a huge price tag by Anaconda Rare Coins who specialized in rainbow toned coins. It was nicknamed Peacegate on the forums. I used to have a photo of the coin but I can't seem to find it anywhere. And the only thread I could find about it is linked below.

Peacegate Vote Thread on CU Forum

41 posts

Perhaps Ebay is good but, my experience is Ebay is very risky. Deceitful sellers looking to cash in big time on the new collectors or those the sellers think they can schem over in some fashion. I've bought perhaps 12 coins off of Ebay in the gold series. Chiseled rim gold, several cleaned coins, overgraded, so I upped my bid dollars in an attempt to increase quality. Supposedly I was buying from 99% to 100% reputable sellers. Wrong. Cleaned coins. I've seen so many problem coins in that I think I've seen polished, cleaned with a dremel type tool wheel, and whizzed. Not to mention poor quality photos where one coin had a light but, long scratch not visable in the picture. Ebay certainly has some poor quality and intentionally photoshoped deceptive photos. Ebay has tried to make their market place a better experience for the buyer over the past 6 years I've been their but, in regards to coins they've simply not done enough. My satisfaction on Ebay has gone down significantly over the last year and I used to be an advocate of Ebay. I'll still shop their but, I think not for coins unless the return periods are of longer durations.

CLEANED COIN SELLERS WHO SAY LUMP IT! Via Ebay

JRCOINS2210

1proudpapa

Edited by slingshot

140 posts

Quality! I like a few double eagles with the right mint mark and date in as high a quality as I can afford. I looked over the track record for the last 12 years and was impressed. A quick look at the price guides on the NGC and PCGS sites will reveal the mints and dates to go after. One quality piece will outperform three more common date coins for the same type and grade every time. I also look at which coins held their value the best during the most recent "not so very great" recession we are trying to crawl out of. DEs are not the only coin to consider. Pick the ones you like the most and focus on them. An average guy with a good plan will beat a genius without one every time.

I would like to assemble a nice set of Standing Liberty quarters as well but there is only so much I can get.

Can anyone please recommend software or a website for creating an inventory of my large coin collection? (>1,000).  I need a program that will accept high definition photos and allow periodic updates to information as I learn more about each variety, and possibly even allow assignment of a bar code, so that I can scan a coin in, enter information and photos, and then extract the info if I decide to sell the coin on line.  If this is not the correct forum or thread for my question, please forgive and redirect me to the appropriate place.  Thanks so much. DCP